Author Topic: Simple Way To Test Smart Strings?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
Simple Way To Test Smart Strings?
« on: March 22, 2011, »
Since we are starting to get our SS orders and we don't have the controllers yet, does anyone know of an easy way to test the SS lights to make sure they work?  Jim W  ???
Jim Wright

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Simple Way To Test Smart Strings?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, »
Great question, was wondering that myself.  I'm sure RJ will have something to say on this.

I noticed that with other RGB modules (non SS variety) ... that dmoore had shown that you could apply 12v inline power to them and if they didn't get any DMX signal, that they would cycle through color changes automatically.  Again, no idea if that would apply to SS stuff at all, so don't assume it would!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, »
That feature would depend on the chips being used but since these strings ARE NOT DMX, I doubt that they will do anything without a signal. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, »
Do we know if these SS modules can be run by a traditional DMX controller (usually 4 wire) ?  I'm guessing NOT.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, »
can the lights be run by DMX? most likely possible, but somone would have to design the hardware to interact to this particular node. remember these were made custom to conform to a specific application. so they may not act like similar nodes even with the same chips involved. ther's a reason for the chip used, there's a reason for the voltage used, there's a reason for the number of conductors used in the interlink cable.   I don't know the reasons but i do know if the normal nodes that look like these could have been used, then there wouldnt have been a reason to make these.

plus...   with 128 node strings...  after the first string, then you could only fit a 42 node string before you run out of DMX channels...  so what's the point?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, »
I've heard that maybe the TP3244 also supports this chipset, if it doesn't already, and its DMX and soon to be HyperDMX via. E1.31 . 

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, »
yes but you might be missing the point, that controller can power this chip, but most likely NOT in this configuration, it's not a 4wire, 5v strand.   ray sells two versions of nodes with this chip.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, »
From what I have read and I could be wrong, the TP3244 may be able to support the chipset however, smart strings run on 12V and don't need o use the clock signal so you would have to eliminate that line and power the strings from a separate 12V source.  I don't really see the need to go thru all that trouble and expense just to test the strings.  You might be better off just emailing Ray and ask him what warranty he is offering on them.  I'm sure that it they have one that it will still be good by the time the SSC's ship from the coop. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, »
I agree ... the way to test is with a SS Controller.

That might have been a cool idea, a SS Tester ... which perhaps takes an inline 12v power supply , maybe enough to power one SS item only and just run a pattern on it.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, »
I was told the warrenty was 2 years on them but maybe I was told wrong?

You really need a SSC and hub to test with, 12v will not do anything. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying