Author Topic: Sample lights arrived - disappointing !!  (Read 3498 times)

Offline fjaust

Sample lights arrived - disappointing !!
« on: March 29, 2011, »
Before I place a big order for lights I ordered some samples first - 1 x flexible strip, 1 x 25 node string, 1 x rigid strip.

The flexible strip is about the only one I am happy with, it seems to be ok. Although I can't test it just yet, it looks well made.

Now for the others...

The packaging on the rigid strip was just woeful. I don't know how anyone can pack something like the rigid strip like they did and not expect it to get damaged at all. The strip got so bent in transit that the epoxy covering on the top of the strip has split in half and I'm not sure now whether it will work or not because it looks like there might be some separation of connections under the covers. If it wasn't damaged in transit then I think I would be quite happy with it. It seems well sealed and well made.

The RGB nodes, which I was planning on buying the most of, look like they were very rushed to get together. The build quality IMHO is not very good at all. I thought these were supposed to be epoxy filled for waterproofing but they just have a very soft silicon in them of which most seems to be on the outside wires rather than in the plastic housing where it needs to be. If you separate the input and output wires you can almost see the PCB, there doesn't seem to be any silicon that has found it's way down there at all.

I'll address my concerns with Ray but I'd be really interetsted in hearing other peoples opinions who have received their orders on build quality.

cheers, scott

Offline JDM1oc

Re: Sample lights arrived - disappointing !!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, »
My rigid strip arrived in good shape and I am pleased with the quality of it and the flexible strip. I would have to agree on the smart strings though, the spacing is not even and they seem to have been dipped in a waterproofing solution but not much of it made it between the input and output wires where it would be needed.

I hope you get your rigid strip replaced!

Josh

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, »
The flex strips looks like good quality to me.  They are a then strip inside a waterproof casing.

The RGB modules also look fairly good/consistent quality, but the SS modules look a bit  "rougher"
than the 4-wire (non SS) 5050 modules I bought.

The SS Nodes looks to be the least commercial quality ... they are stinky and with lots of silicone.  I haven't seen
anything awful with them, but the node caps (for example) are often installed crooked and each is pretty handmade
looking in terms of product consistency.  I think were on the cutting edge with those, so I kind of expected this
with the nodes.  I had 127 instead of 128 on my one string, but even I have a hard time counting all them as they
are fairly bulky compared to traditional mini lights.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline galgon

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, »
How wide and tall are the flexible strips?  Does it look like you can easily cut the flexible strip into sections?
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline fjaust

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, »
How wide and tall are the flexible strips?  Does it look like you can easily cut the flexible strip into sections?

The strip is 4 metres (13') x 15mm (5/8") x 5mm (3/16").

i'm not too sure if it is cuttable or not but i am guessing it is. on the strip there are solder pads for power every 3 LEDs. the whole section highlighted in the attached pic is repeated every three lights so i'm assuming that's where you can cut it, but not too sure.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, »
Does it look like you can easily cut the flexible strip into sections?

Yes, there are markings on the strip where it can be cut.  It's about every 4 inches.

-Mike

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, »
Yep, you can cut them on the places marked.  Now keep in mind, the electronic strip is inside a rubberized tube ... so you'd have to seal those back up on both sides every time you cut and wire them.  dmoore mention doing this, but also said they are a lot harder to splice than say RGB modules are.  He even showed in one video that you can solder the points together, or solder wire in between those points (but not too much I'd guess, like 1-2').
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, »
If you look at the ends where the wires come in it appears that they used the same waterproofing 'goop' that is used on the nodes to seal of the ends.  I would think we could use the same 'goop' that RJ mentioned in the waterproofing video to seal up the cut ends.  Just don't thin it as much.

Frank

Offline dmoore

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, »
If you look at the ends where the wires come in it appears that they used the same waterproofing 'goop' that is used on the nodes to seal of the ends.  I would think we could use the same 'goop' that RJ mentioned in the waterproofing video to seal up the cut ends.  Just don't thin it as much.

Frank

I've found using hot glue works great.

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, »
even easier   :D

Offline fjaust

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, »
Hot glue or Selleys All Clear (silicon sealant). i have a tube of the Selleys so I'll just use that to inject some extra waterproofing in between the wires.

btw, I got a response from Ray who was very apologetic about the bent rigid strip and has offered a full refund on that item - so that's great customer service.

He has also said that he will let the engineer know about the waterproofing issue and get them to fix it in the future.

thanks, scott

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, »
A refund is acceptable - 'great' customer service would have been another strip sent to you for free properly packaged!  Did you send Ray the picture or link here of how it was originally shipped?

It's good to hear he will be working on improving the sealing of the lights - unfortunately a bit late for those who already have ordered.  Proper waterproofing was an 'extra' negotiated by RJ (I'm assuming for a price concession) - having them not properly sealed is not a good sign.

One postive note is Ray seems to be willing to make things somewhat right with all the issues - it is still unfortunate that there are so many issues with these nodes and none of the regular members have the ability to test them...

Offline Corey872

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, »
I am curious through all this - is there any way, we can simply order a box of nodes (hopefully at a cheaper price) then solder them into strings here in the states.  I mean, I can cut, solder wire and count to 128.  Just curious about putting more 'DIY' in the "DIY"?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, »
It's not a simple as you think it is and is far more time consuming.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dmoore

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, »
I am curious through all this - is there any way, we can simply order a box of nodes (hopefully at a cheaper price) then solder them into strings here in the states.  I mean, I can cut, solder wire and count to 128.  Just curious about putting more 'DIY' in the "DIY"?

You'd need plastics moulding machine to "encase" the pixel node - so it's not really possible for most people.