Author Topic: Which lights to choose  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Which lights to choose
« on: April 09, 2011, »
I really want to build a flat mega tree using 10 strands of lights (mega tree shaped like a triangle vs. a cone).  The pixel lights are the least expensive but not sure how well they will hold up year over year.  I like the idea of the flex strip since I can roll them out flat and all of the lights align nicely, but seem fragile and hard to fix.  I like the ridged the best because of the durability, but they cost more and it might make it harder to construct the mega tree.  Thoughts and opinions?

If I order 5 ridged LED strips today, does each strip start with the same channel and I would need to wait until the controllers come in so I can program them correctly?  Still trying to figure that out.   

Offline LtKadeo

Re: Which lights to choose
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, »
Had much the same debate decided to go with the strings - I plan on using nylon cord and tyrap the SS to it. Then use the nylon as a guide and hang up - want to try and not put much pull force on the SS nodes/wire connections.
Another thought I did look into was flex strip in ridged clear PVC tubes but I think the cost was high plus would have to store long sections someplace in off season

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, »
The rigid strips are 1M (39 inches) long and would not be fun to try to cut. Also, I'm not sure the end-to-end spacing can be squeezed to match the pixel to pixel spacing - meaning that the gap between the pixel at the end of one strip and the beginning of the next would be a little larger than the normal pixel spacing.

The Flexible strip can be cut about every 4 inches (3 pixel sets are tied to one control chip) - there are markings on the strip...

As for numbering the strings, that is up to you. The individual SSCs have to have their start address, count direction ( 1 to xxx or xxx to 1), and color order set (RGB, RBG, etc. depending on the node type). Personally I would want each node to have its own address for maximum flexibility - but that also takes more effort to program soooo many channels...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, »
how wide is the flexible strip? i have a really really cheap source (in USA) for rigid clear tubing.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I really want to build a flat mega tree using 10 strands of lights (mega tree shaped like a triangle vs. a cone).  The pixel lights are the least expensive but not sure how well they will hold up year over year.  I like the idea of the flex strip since I can roll them out flat and all of the lights align nicely, but seem fragile and hard to fix.  I like the ridged the best because of the durability, but they cost more and it might make it harder to construct the mega tree.  Thoughts and opinions?

If I order 5 ridged LED strips today, does each strip start with the same channel and I would need to wait until the controllers come in so I can program them correctly?  Still trying to figure that out.   

One problem with rigid strips is that they don't have a 360 degree view which means that you will need to figure out away to keep the strips facing foward.  The same problem exists for flex strips.  Even after you come up with a method to keep them facing forward, they will still have a significant reduction in light output from the side.  Whatever method you come up with to support the rigid or flexable strips should also support the smart strings as well.  The smart strings do have a 360 degree viewing angle and do not have to be forced into facing one direction.  They also cost less.  As for programming, there is no programming involved for the nodes or strips.  They are completely controlled by the controllers and it is the controllers that are assigned a starting address as well as the other features so without the controller, the lights do nothing.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, »
Personally I would want each node to have its own address for maximum flexibility - but that also takes more effort to program soooo many channels...

RM

Don't forget that the smart string controllers have a hybrid mode which gives the ability to address each node as well as control the entire string from 3 channels when you want the whole string to do the same thing.

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, »
Knew that...
I happen to be a video guy and plan to try generating videos to load into light show pro when I get some controllers to play with. Also have great hopes for new software tools others are working on.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, »

Acrylic tubes from 0.25 inch to 1.25 inch
from $0.10 per foot to $1.43 per foot
sold in 6 foot sections

not bad, i've ordered from them before and they ship usps in a long tube.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, »
Thanks for all of the feedback.  I had not really thought too much about the field of view.   Given the cost savings and other factors, I am going to try the pixel strings.

Chris, what have you used the tubes for?

If I splice strings together, how does that impact the numbering?  Does the config utility set this?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, by Mickpat »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, »
i'm thinkimg of using the tubes to make "meteor lights" out of smart strings and use the tubes to hold the strings straight.
i dont need to cap the tube, since the nodes are already waterproofed

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, »
If I splice strings together, how does that impact the numbering?  Does the config utility set this?

The numbering of the pixels is based on their physical location within the string.  The SS Controller is configured with the starting address for the first pixel (or last pixel if you run them backwards) the rest just follow sequentially.  The controller has a limit of 128 nodes.  The pixels (aka nodes) are not programmed or configured.

-Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, »
Just one quick point.  The controller is always configured to its STARTING address.  The controller can be configured to set the start to either end of the string but it is still the same start address with the address going up from there.