Author Topic: Received Smart Strings poor quality  (Read 1529 times)

Offline foxathome

• 57 channels and nothings on
Received Smart Strings poor quality
« on: April 14, 2011, »
I've just received 16 strings of Smart Strings and I'm concerned with the quality. Has anyone else received any and reviewed the individual pixels? It took a long time for Ray to ship the strings and then when I've been looking at the lights I'm extremely concerned that they aren't going to survive the weather. The PCB's inside the individual nodes occasionally are at the surface of the molding, with either a bare fraction of plastic material covering or in some cases the components are completely exposed. Ray's response was first that they would be making the quality better (that doesn't help me!) and then that all of them that have been produced are similar and that I should be fine. It's hard to believe that exposed surface mount components are going to be fine in the northwest coast of the US where the sun causes people to wander the streets in a daze or cower as if an alien invasion is in process.
For an over $800.00 investment I really need a product that will last and these are worrying me a lot. Any thoughts or experience from others?

57 (1057 now) Channels and Nothings On!
So I'll blink lights instead

Offline foxathome

Re: Received Smart Strings poor quality
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, »
Also, before I loose the window of time that I can ask for a settlement on the lights, I would like to work out a method to test the strings? Any ideas? I don't really want to order the tester from Ray in China, I only have a few days (7) to dispute the order.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, »
No ones nodes should have the pcb outside of the mold. Tell him you need them taken care of or file a dispute. I have thousands of these things and out of that we had a couple that where not centered in the mold but not like you are saying.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tng5737

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, »
If these strings are not physically ok, then why bother testing them.  In the condition you describe they will certainly suffer premature failure.  I agree with RJ, contact Ray and demand a resolution if he fails to satisfy you then Dispute it.  Send him a photo of the dmaged nodes
His email is: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
BTW, I have found that Ray has been pretty good at resolving things to my satisfaction in the past - so give him a chance to make it right!

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, »
I contacted Ray this evening (abt another matter) and asked that he check my current order for quality.  He told me that he has returned the current stuff to the factory for a remake!  So he is definitely aware of the issue.

Offline foxathome

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, »
Thanks for the replies. I counted over 90 nodes that have either the edge of the board, the solder joints or the components exposed. No string didn't have a problem, average of 6 per string, up to 14 on one.

I've sent the same information to Ray on the website and via the chat. We'll see. I have a few days before needing to dispute.
Still would like to test, very excited to see blinky flash, just no components to make it happen. Currently staring at my PIC experimenter board and wondering if I can make a controller to see lights blink!

Offline dmoore

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the replies. I counted over 90 nodes that have either the edge of the board, the solder joints or the components exposed. No string didn't have a problem, average of 6 per string, up to 14 on one.

Is it possible for you to post a macro close-up photo of one of the improperly produced pixel nodes?

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, »
I ordered 2 sets of 128 node strings to test them out before ordering more.  I counted 22 or 23 nodes (almost 10%) that were too close to the edge of the mold and had parts exposed.  Out of all of those, there are only about 4 or 5 that I wouldn't feel comfortable with fixing myself.  The rest, i think, can be sealed up good with a little silicone.  I talked to Ray about this, and he said that he is looking for ways to improve the quality of the strings for future orders.  He said he would include some extras with my next order to replace the bad ones that I got this time.  I was happy with this solution, and approved the payment.

Kyle
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login