Author Topic: Warning..  (Read 1594 times)

Offline therealbigjim

Warning..
« on: October 26, 2012, »
Just a warning.....don't fool with your show computer after you setup the show and have it working. I thought I would tweak my show and touch up a few sequences, so I took it to work to work on during my break. Welllll, I got a blue screen of death upon start up and a message that I needed to restore to a earlier restore point. I let it work and waited....and waited .....and waited. Well it restored and restarted and looked like it did the day it was taken out of the box. All the installed programs were gone. It saved my profile and documents in a folder but everything else was gone.
I had my show and sequences backed up on my desk top but I had to reinstall LOR3 (using another install license) and go through setting that up and redoing the schedule and all the stuff that goes with LOR. I spent about 5 hours and about 1030 last night I had both the LOR and Lynx networks working and the lights blinking, I don't think I will turn off the computer till Nov. 1st. >:( 
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Warning..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, »
Two words.

Image backup.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, »
Having a hard time feeling sorry for you when you are so ahead of the game.   ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline injury

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, »
Hrmm sounds like it was a manufacturer restore procedure, and I'd keep a close look on the Event Viewer for hard drive errors and such.

If you think it was a Windows Restore Point Restore, then your other user profile folder should still be there somewhere. C:\User or C:\Documents and Settings etc.

For future reference, if it's a Windows restore point backup then all your files will be there. So in the case of apps that save their settings to files instead of the registry like most of the sequencers seem to. Do the restore, then before you install said app, find where you had it installed and make a backup copy of that directory. Reinstall patching to the point you were at the time of restore and copy the backed up folder over the new install. Settings saved in the registry are a bit trickier but there is usually at least 1-2 full backups of the registry Windows keeps up with not related to restore points since the days of Win 95.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, »
Well its kinda a moot point now...we had a little wind today and...With Fl. Ga. here this weekend I wont be able to fix it till Tuesday. <yk..

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, »
OUCH! <yk..

If I put something up high like that with PVC pipe I put metal electrical conduit inside and down in the ground to help stead the element against the wind. 1/2" emt will fit inside 3/4" pvc pipe and 3/4" emt will fit inside 1" pvc. Since I use rivets to attach the coro to the pipes the emt will still slide inside. Hope that will help in your rebuild.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, »
Two words.

Image backup.

I like Acronis True image and an extra hard drive.  I think it's fairly inexpensive for home computer use.  Thanks for the reminder to do it again.  I am sorry to hear of your bad luck.  That's very frustrating.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, »
Two words.

Image backup.

I like Acronis True image and an extra hard drive.  I think it's fairly inexpensive for home computer use.  Thanks for the reminder to do it again.  I am sorry to hear of your bad luck.  That's very frustrating.

Yep, I use the same program. It can be a nerve saver. I also move all my data files to a separate drive so the OS disk has the least amount of space used. Then a backup of the system drive goes quick and dosen't require a huge backup drive for images.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, »
Well its kinda a moot point now...we had a little wind today and...With Fl. Ga. here this weekend I wont be able to fix it till Tuesday. <yk..
My display isn't quite as elaborate as yours, but I've got foam pumpkins scattered all over my yard, and the fake leaves that were hanging on my eaves are hanging down now. Also somehow it twisted the light fixtures on either side of my garage. They twist back easily, just not sure how the wind did that.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, »
Well put in about 8 hours yesterday and I am up and running for tonight. ;D

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, »
Nice recovery. It's allways darkest before the dawy. Looks like you now see the dawn.

Having the skull faces above the graveyard is a nice touch.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, »
Here is my first attempt at adding RGB. S3 -Lynx- 3channel controller to dumb nodes.

Offline Mimir

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, »
Looks great.   <res.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, »
One last clip...I finally putting up one from last Christmas..... <fp.

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, »
I love the Deck the Halls video.  My kind of music :)  Who performed it?
Also,  good thing the wind didnt wreck you Romney sign.