Author Topic: Video editing software  (Read 1237 times)

Offline bassmants

Video editing software
« on: December 31, 2013, »
What video editing software are you guys using?  Never made videos before and just got a new DSLR camera and want to make some videos of my show this year.  Hopefully trying to find something that won't break the bank.  Thanks.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: Video editing software
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, »
I use the Windows Video editor and it's pretty good for free and what it is.

I also have Premiere which I would consider more for actual movie making.  If you're using a long shot of your show and sync'ing it to audio, the Windows editor is perfect.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, »
I've used vegas and cyberlink powerdirector11 ... I"m not good at either, but both are good.  Like mike said, the windows video software isn't bad and meets most basic needs.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, »
I also use PowerDirector and find it fairly easy to use.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, »
I use Vegas Movie Studio.....I also use Magix, Premiere Elements, Windows Movie Maker. I find that for videoing Christmas lights about any editor will work since most of it is not real fancy.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, »
Any tips on how to set a video camera to get good video footage?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, »
Generally speaking:
1. Use Manual focus
2. Manually Control the white balance
3. Shoot at dawn/dusk to get some ambient light help

That said I usually do not do #3. :)

Here are some good links with greater detail and some sample videos of different settings:

I want to try some different angles and focusing on certain elements this year, but read somewhere that it ends up being a distraction in the video....we'll see how it goes.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline jim saul

• The Computer Hero Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, »
I'm using Adobe premier elements, bit of a learning curve but im pretty happy now.

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, »
I have looked at most of the video editing software. My Favorite used to be Pnnacle Studio, as they have some great transitions. However, I always check licensing, and they say that if you are doing professional (which shooting lights isn't) then you have to upgrade with their product. I have also checked out Cyber Pro Director, Lightworks (used by holly wood and is free, but takes a degree to make work) adobe and good ole windows movie maker. Choice is to go with Cyberpro director as they have a ton of downloadable things to add to your project.

just my 2 cents.

Kip

Offline arw01

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, »
I made up my first video yesterday morning using the Windows Movie Maker and it was not too hard.  Got an audio track to sync in pretty well, put a title sequence in (reminds me of phineas and ferb's line "mom, phineas is making a title sequence!").

I ordered off Ebay, Coreal VideoStudio X6 for $44.00 yesterday as I was looking for transitions to use with LSP as well, really thought about Adobe Premier Elements as well, maybe will check that out later.  If you have needs for other Adobe software, the CC license on a monthly basis might be an option, but it goes add up in a year!

I noticed, too late to do anything about it, that one camera I used kept the color of the leds better than the other, but I had killed the battery on one so switched to the other.  I am going to order a window bolt on tri-pod for next year, as trying to hand hold it just does not work in cold weather. <fp.

Alan