Author Topic: First Wash Out  (Read 642 times)

Offline mmais68569

First Wash Out
« on: December 29, 2013, »
Well I guess you can not preform every night. Tonight is my first cancelled show in 5 years had just to much rain off & on today to dry things out. I have 2 more nights left this year to finish the 2013 season.

Mike

Offline drlucas

Re: First Wash Out
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, »
Bummer!!!  Freezing rain took out all my "on the ground" candy canes that were connected to LEs. Next year I'm getting a spool of SPT and dong all the runs to the LE in such a way that I don't have a repeat performance. First year in a very very long time we had freezing rain (some people close by are just getting their power back on after a week outage!). I lost 2 nights due to no power myself (and I live close to two nuke plants), and about 1/4 of my show sequence was all about the dancing candy canes and aethers on the ground. 

I feel for you, but hopefully the next two nights will be dry for you. Perhaps we need those tarps like they use in some ball parks and get a crew of neighbourhood kids to come flying out and roll it out when the rain hits....I might be on to something...if the tarp was clear, perhaps the show could go on rain or shine?

Joking all aside, you said it's the first time in 5 years that rain took you out....have you just been lucky with the weather the last 5 years, or did you do something different this year that didn't hold itself up well to water?
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline meman

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, »
I'm about 80 mi South of you and thought I was done as well tonight when the GFCI kept tripping on one of my circuits and shut down most of the show.
Strange house wiring had an external plug routed through one of the bathroom GFCI outlets. Got another extension cord and ran it from a dedicated external outlet and I was back in business. Didn't make much sense since I put an amp meter on it after I relocated it, and it was drawing less than 6 amps at full on. That outlet is holding up just fine.

Mike E

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, »
That is the Joy of GFI.  Most houses route them thru bathroom fixtures as it saves money for the electrician and there is little load normally on bathroom outlets.  It's not the current that trips them, it's the current leakage that they look for.  A few mills leaking to ground and they trip.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, »
Shut down a show for rain  <la.. come to Seattle! Rain we don't care about any rain.  :)

Offline thestig

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, »
 <la..

I was thinking the same thing. We have no room to talk. An inch of snow and schools shutdown.