Author Topic: Newbie Problems?  (Read 6015 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Newbie Problems?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, »
Ok I installed Chrome and now I can see the effects. If I try to copy 1 I get an error at the top saying that I need to rename the effect: which I have done. I am following the tutorial on this page, but my step are as follows.

1. Login
2. Select Gallery.
3. Check the one that I want and rename it with no spaces. Actually just used the word copy for now, but I have tried just to highlight and paste as in the tutorial with no luck.
4. Select at the bottom "Copy Checked Effects" and get the error at the top of the page.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok I installed Chrome and now I can see the effects. If I try to copy 1 I get an error at the top saying that I need to rename the effect: which I have done. I am following the tutorial on this page, but my step are as follows.

1. Login
2. Select Gallery.
3. Check the one that I want and rename it with no spaces. Actually just used the word copy for now, but I have tried just to highlight and paste as in the tutorial with no luck.
4. Select at the bottom "Copy Checked Effects" and get the error at the top of the page.

Make sure the that you have a target with the same effect type of the effect you are trying to copy.  Gallery copy does have some wonky behavior and is not 100% reliable (which 100% my fault since I programmed this module).  I had issues when I tried to copy a 'spiral' effect, but had no mega trees defined as a target.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, »
I am just trying to copy an already made spiral, but on this machine I cannot see the trees. I have attached a sreen view. I have a setting off somewhere in explorer but I don't know where? Or something not loaded that I need to view.

as has been mentioned before IE will not display the animated gifs. I am not sure why.

our workaround?

Use chrome, firefox, opera or safari.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, »

1. Login
2. Select Gallery.

Make sure the that you have a target with the same effect type of the effect you are trying to copy.  Gallery copy does have some wonky behavior and is not 100% reliable (which 100% my fault since I programmed this module).  I had issues when I tried to copy a 'spiral' effect, but had no mega trees defined as a target.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,

I went ahead and built a model with bars and tried to copy again with still no luck. Would you like a screen shot of my error?

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, »
I am just trying to copy an already made spiral, but on this machine I cannot see the trees. I have attached a sreen view. I have a setting off somewhere in explorer but I don't know where? Or something not loaded that I need to view.

as has been mentioned before IE will not display the animated gifs. I am not sure why.

our workaround?

Use chrome, firefox, opera or safari.

thanks

Our workaround for now he means! *grin*.  The Gallery uses Ajax and JSON code which is javascript based.  Everyone adopted the same standard for javascript except for ONE company (any guesses?)  Microsoft decided to 'enhance' the W3C DOM standard (which in effect broke MS away from the standard.) This means that all of our javascript has to recognize which browser is Microsoft based and which is not, and run the appropriate javascript calls because of it.  In truth, I do not use IE and therefore the Gallery was never tested on Microsoft's platform.  I just assumed (incorrectly) that the Ajax library I was using will handle IE (which it doesn't).  I use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera (which all test out okay with the gallery).

Kurt
------

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, »

1. Login
2. Select Gallery.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,

I went ahead and built a model with bars and tried to copy again with still no luck. Would you like a screen shot of my error?

You are doing this from meighan.net?  Logged in as rdebolt?  Which effect in particular are you trying to copy?
------

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, »
Right now I am getting an internal service error when making a bar effect on my tree.

Class  : bars
User   : angus40
Effect : 20120907032155
 This is the one I would like to try.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, »
Okay.  I know the problem.  Angus created most of these effects EARLY on in the development of nutcracker.  Since then, we have been adding attributes to the effects that will not be automatically generated by older effects (like this one).  Let me try to regen his effect and see if that clears it up.

Kurt
------

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, »
Wow! Thanks for the help Kurt!  <res.

Offline smeighan

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, »
Okay.  I know the problem.  Angus created most of these effects EARLY on in the development of nutcracker.  Since then, we have been adding attributes to the effects that will not be automatically generated by older effects (like this one).  Let me try to regen his effect and see if that clears it up.

Kurt

Kurt;

you might try

i wrote this two months ago to fill in blank values in effects. the effects_dtl table had a default column at that time. two months ago i ran it on meighan.net and it fixed all blanks. it needs to be tested to make sure it doesnt effect the id columns that you use. it will execute replace sql's to put in defaults.

if it still works, running it once will fill in every missing blank.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, »
I really found the issue now!  Looks like the query to give the Gallery display is causing something called a 'cartesian product' (for all you versed in database admin or database design will know what this is -- all others don't worry about it, just know it is not a good thing!)  I need to fix this query.  The work-around for now is if you see something with the same name in gallery, keep looking until you get to the LAST effect with that name.  This is the correct one to use and SHOULD not cause an error of missing name appearing.

Kurt
------

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, »

Kurt

Kurt;

you might try

i wrote this two months ago to fill in blank values in effects. the effects_dtl table had a default column at that time. two months ago i ran it on meighan.net and it fixed all blanks. it needs to be tested to make sure it doesnt effect the id columns that you use. it will execute replace sql's to put in defaults.

if it still works, running it once will fill in every missing blank.

thanks

Thanks Sean, 

Complete forgot about that command.
------

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, »
Kurt I see that you put several in my folder! Thanks so much!! Now one last question...well maybe not last. Which xml should I copy for LSP?

Offline smeighan

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, »
Kurt I see that you put several in my folder! Thanks so much!! Now one last question...well maybe not last. Which xml should I copy for LSP?

try the first one, it works for most people
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, »

try the first one, it works for most people

Either KURTTEST or KURTTEST3  (They are BOTH the same)
------