Author Topic: Planning for 2013 Nutcracker  (Read 4483 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: Planning for 2013 Nutcracker
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here is yet another idea for an element...  an infinity mirror.

Going beyond what is in the video, imagine the actual circle of lights being a line (circle) of smart string pixels.  The kalaidescope effect would be fun, breaking the lights into quadrants ( 4 ), or sections of 8... or more/less.

this would be easy to write effects for ...

let me know if you build one...
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, »
Here is yet another idea for an element...  an infinity mirror.

Going beyond what is in the video, imagine the actual circle of lights being a line (circle) of smart string pixels.  The kalaidescope effect would be fun, breaking the lights into quadrants ( 4 ), or sections of 8... or more/less.

this would be easy to write effects for ...

let me know if you build one...
Wouldn't this simply be a four segment single strand?  If you built a circular one, it would just be a single segment single strand?  Seems easy enough.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, »
Here are some the new stars that will be available as targets soon

Awesome!

Sean would it be possible to make the stars 4 section Exploding stars or give the option?

This is what I have... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks!!
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, »
Here are some the new stars that will be available as targets soon

Awesome!

Sean would it be possible to make the stars 4 section Exploding stars or give the option?

This is what I have... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks!!

i think you misunderstood the drawings, maybe i wasnt clear

You will create stars, as an example the 5 point star on the right above:

Number of points (3-12)? 5
how many stars to nest together (1-10)? 3
how many pixels on star#1 30
how many pixels on star #2 20
how many stars on star #3 10

Now the star model would be built for you

In other words all of these models will be configurable.

In your case, answer the second question with a 4. I will allow probably any number of nested stars.

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, »
i think you misunderstood the drawings, maybe i wasnt clear

You will create stars, as an example the 5 point star on the right above:

Number of points (3-12)? 5
how many stars to nest together (1-10)? 3
how many pixels on star#1 30
how many pixels on star #2 20
how many stars on star #3 10

Now the star model would be built for you

In other words all of these models will be configurable.

In your case, answer the second question with a 4. I will allow probably any number of nested stars.

Sean,
Thank you, You always go above and beyond and I sincerely appreciate what you do for our community.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, »
I was thinking of making some batons. Have them in different colors. I haven't figured out the electronics, but I need to be able to detect where the baton is, maybe just in vertical space.

I was then going to connect their movements to the lights. Get kids to conduct the music. Effects follow what they do.

It would make the show very interactive

i was thinking of having kids along the sidewalk, so maybe 10'. I want to make it so that they kids who have blue batons, will draw with blue. If they weave among themselves, the colors on my display match their movements.

With Nutcracker maybe going to a C++ program, xlights already is real time. It handled my 12,100 channels with no lag.

I would start with what they do would only show up on the megatree. take it from there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, »
Sounds like you have been to Disney. They have those mouse ears that blink to the show music.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, »
Sean,

I saw on one of the forums (DIYC I think) where a guy did reindeer hats using a RF protocol.  Take a look at that, if you haven't already.  It was quite detailed and amazing. 

Kurt
------

Offline smeighan

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, »
Sean,

I saw on one of the forums (DIYC I think) where a guy did reindeer hats using a RF protocol.  Take a look at that, if you haven't already.  It was quite detailed and amazing. 

Kurt
Hi Kurt;

I have been following that there's for the last six months or so. That would be cool also. But I was thinking more of an input device.

My kids have a wii, you can connect it to your laptop as a Bluetooth device. Maybe I'll start with two wii controllers and get the interactive software worked out.

I am thinking of or'ing in the wii controllers to the output buffer. Lots of things to work out, like make sure we don't add lag to the playback.

Well see, it will be fun to try
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, »
Sean,

Kurt
Hi Kurt;

I have been following that there's for the last six months or so. That would be cool also. But I was thinking more of an input device.

My kids have a wii, you can connect it to your laptop as a Bluetooth device. Maybe I'll start with two wii controllers and get the interactive software worked out.

I am thinking of or'ing in the wii controllers to the output buffer. Lots of things to work out, like make sure we don't add lag to the playback.

I understand.  This sounds cool.  You might also look at a lot of the hacks that have been done to the Kinect.  The Kinect can definitely understand body movement and distinguish between multiple people moving around.  Perhaps you have an area where the kinect views the movement of arms and body and responds accordingly.  Just a thought of alternatives (not trying to talk you out of the Wii control). 

Kurt
------

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, »
Sean,

Kurt
Hi Kurt;

I understand.  This sounds cool.  You might also look at a lot of the hacks that have been done to the Kinect.  The Kinect can definitely understand body movement and distinguish between multiple people moving around.  Perhaps you have an area where the kinect views the movement of arms and body and responds accordingly.  Just a thought of alternatives (not trying to talk you out of the Wii control). 

Kurt

Also, you might want to baby step using the Conductors trigger.  This might be too constraining to what you do, but it would be relatively simple to create a signal generator that feeds into the triggers.  This would limit you to a max of 15 odd sequences, so as I said might be too constraining to what you want to do.  Just typing out loud here. *grin*

Kurt
------

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, »
Sean,

Kurt
Hi Kurt;

Kurt
The problem with Wii it that you need to secure the batons/controllers so that people don't walk off with them, or be on-hand to monitor their use.  I like both of the ideas, but Kinect might cause less frustration with human natures.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, »
Sean,

Kurt
Hi Kurt;

Kurt
The problem with Wii it that you need to secure the batons/controllers so that people don't walk off with them, or be on-hand to monitor their use.  I like both of the ideas, but Kinect might cause less frustration with human natures.

For me, i would always be there. As a scoutmaster, divemaster and EMT i am concerned about safety with people getting excited on my sidewalk. It will be a supervised activity. I am thinking like 6-7pm each night , advertise the interactive show. I would need to demo how it works and monitor. Then i would take equipment back inside.

I would like to see an interactive paint program. Also i would want a solution that works on all the hardware people use. For me, i will work on a design using xlights as the player and feed the input stream to the data being output.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, »
Greetings,,,

You could always use a Twister type input on the sidewalk itself, either switch input or a scanning solution, optical or otherwise.  Even with a projected keyboard or other display on the sidewalk. Which could change for different songs.  Lots of options. ...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline smeighan

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, »
Greetings,,,

You could always use a Twister type input on the sidewalk itself, either switch input or a scanning solution, optical or otherwise.  Even with a projected keyboard or other display on the sidewalk. Which could change for different songs.  Lots of options. ...

Keith

Yep, that could get the kids moving.
make a 6'x6' square on the ground, 1 foot square pads.. kids standing makes the pattern that overlays on the song.
Sean
Littleton, CO