Author Topic: pics of set ups  (Read 1013 times)

Offline kernal

pics of set ups
« on: February 01, 2014, »
Does anybody have a picture of how you set up active hub with power supply and smart strings?  Please and thanks!
My license plate says blinky.

Offline drlucas

Re: pics of set ups
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, »
What type of picture? The one attached is a picture of a battery box with power supply below my hub and a wire running off to test a corocane.  Do you want a schematic or camera shots?
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, »
And the reason for the screws in my setup is because the ends would always pop up causing me flaky results. I have since moved to a smaller set screw vs the deck screws :gulp:
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline kernal

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, »
That is AWESOME!  i was having that same problem with my dmx dongle this past year...  didnt think about doing that!  And i like to see pictures becuz i learn better from seeing and doing rather than reading...  just how i roll.  Lol  but that is awesome!  Thanks!

Offline kernal

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, »
So i powered it wrong.  I put a rail power supply in thru the 12v at the bottom left.  I will try with the plug ins for corsair power supply

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So i powered it wrong.  I put a rail power supply in thru the 12v at the bottom left.  I will try with the plug ins for corsair power supply
You can power to the 12V input at the bottom left and it shouldn't be a big deal.  It's a bit easier with a 12V supply from Ray or any other dealer, but you can still also do it with an ATX supply.

Offline kernal

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, »
either way, the "power" light does not come on but the resister gets hot... 

Offline kernal

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, »
Just for you to see the "option" areas (and to let me know if i am right or wrong)...

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, »
You CANNOT power the hub this way.  In order to use the 12V option, you would need to install the 12V option kit.  If you look at the upper right of the board, you will see the missing components.  These are the 5V and 3V regulators to supply the chips with the voltages that they require.  The ATX supply already provides these voltages on the big connector along with the 12V that the smart strings require so there is no need for these regulators when the ATX supply is being used.  Without them, the only power on the board is 12V.  The resistor is used on the 12V circuit which is why it is getting hot.  It is used to put a stabilizing load on an ATX supply and probably should be removed if you are going to install the 12V option and not use an ATX supply.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, »
Just for you to see the "option" areas (and to let me know if i am right or wrong)...

In order to use a power supply that only provides 12v on an active hub, the optional parts (7805, 1117v33c,etc - listed in Wiki) must be installed to provide power to the electrical components on the board (comunications, DMX,etc).  When you use an ATX supply and plug in the 20 pin section it provides the 3v and 5v that the onboard components need to function.

I guess tbone321 beat me to it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, by maffeirw »
Luceat lux vestra

Offline kernal

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, »
Thanks guys.  Little disappointed but happy nonetheless. 

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, »
I saw in another thread that you felt that a member sold you an incomplete active hub.  You should know that the vast majority of active hub users use PC power supplies to power their shows and that the components to use a 12v power supply was an additional cost option on in the coops. If I recall correctly, the parts option wasn't even available in the 4/12 coop.
Look in the Wiki under Lynx - Smart Strings / PixelNet and scroll down to the PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub and you will find information on the active hub and the 12v Option. I've provided the link to a Mouser parts list (from the Wiki) to give you an ides of what you'll need to add the 12v option.

For my shows, I use large 12v server power supplies which need the option, but for bench testing and equipment setup I picked up a few cheap PC supplies for use on a few strings at a time.   
Luceat lux vestra

Offline kernal

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, »
Yep, i didnt look into it enuf and for that i apologize.  Completely my fault and part of a learning curve.  Lol.  All is well!