Hardware > Lynx EtherDongle

EtherDongle Advantage?

(1/4) > >>

tng5737:
If you are not going to do wireless, is there any real advatage to using an etherDongle over two pixeldongles and a couple of combiners?   I still would have to run a cat5 cable between the combiner to my first hub and another cat5 between my two hubs.   If I went wireless, then I can see the advantages and of course also the future development of the Etherdognle daughter-boards.   And if I understand the setup correctly - if I went wireless then I would need two Etherdongles plus the wireless gear.

rm357:
Ether donglē = 4 pixelnet dongles + combiner

Wirless is cheap if caught on sale. I puchased a couple of wirless n adapters that can be configured as a receiver/bridge for under $20 each - that gives me spare... get on the mailing list for newegg...

RM

lightingnut:
I'm confused,
If I use the EtherDongle I won't need to have a computer running to run the show. The show will be stored on the EtherDongle??

If the EtherDongle plugs into the RJ45 jack on the computer and my computer only has one jack how do I get internet? My RJ45 jack is where my internet comes into the computer?
Please explain.
Thanks

RJ:
No the etherdongle does not play your show.

The conductor which gets plugged into the board inside the case runs your show but it is not avaliable yet. Soon to go to beta.

RJ

mykroft:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI'm confused,
If I use the EtherDongle I won't need to have a computer running to run the show. The show will be stored on the EtherDongle??

If the EtherDongle plugs into the RJ45 jack on the computer and my computer only has one jack how do I get internet? My RJ45 jack is where my internet comes into the computer?
Please explain.
Thanks

--- End quote ---

You would either need another eth adapter for your computer OR just put the etherdongle into your hub/switch and the data will go thru your network without the need for a 2nd eth port on your computer. 

If you go directly to your cable/dsl modem and it does not have a router in it - then you will need to get a switch to allow the etherdongle to need the data sent to it.

most cable/dsl modems these days have a router/switch built into them with some extra ports for other devices on your network...

Hope this helps

Myk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version