Author Topic: High speed servos?  (Read 852 times)

Offline DanHouston

High speed servos?
« on: July 21, 2013, »
I have an idea (not lighting related) that I'd like to venture down, but I've never really done anything with servos. I'm looking to build something that can move left/right and up/down. The left/right speed would need to be pretty fast (90 degrees per second left/right...the up/down speed could be considerably slower).

I know I'll have more questions, and am hitting google pretty hard, but know some of you use motors and any good starting places would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Dan
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline tbone321

Re: High speed servos?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, »
How much weight do you intend for the servo to move?  Is the motion always end to end or do you want it to stop in different positions?  High speed servos use less gearing and more powerful motors which increases their power usage, cost, and in many cases, size.  If you are always moving end to end, you may be better off using a solenoid or a pneumatic cylinder.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, »
less than 5 pounds to move. It will not always be end to end. 90 degrees per second is probably more aggressive than I need...I'm working the math to get exactly what I need, but at this point confident 90 degrees per second would meet my needs.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, »
A large high torque servo could probably handle that but it will be a bit power hungry and probably not the quietest thing on the planet either.  The other issue is the inertia that will be created by moving and stopping that weight quickly.  Your linkage will really need to be solid. 

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, »
I'm still learning some of the lingo on the specs, but it seems even something like this would work:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It may be a little close load wise, and I read I should assume a halving of the speed under load, but I think even with that it would still meets what I posted early on. As for noise I'm not super worried about that unless we are talking about put on your ear protection to be around it.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, »
LOL, if you need ear protection, then the servo is about to die a horrid death.  While it is not loud, you might hear it buzz.  I would possibly be concerned about those carbonite gears.  Metal would probably be better and more resistant to shock.  You might also want to look into digital servos if speed is important.  They maintain their speed from the start to the end position and can be programmed for whatever speed you want them to move.  Analog servos slow down as they reach their destination and can vibrate if something keeps it slightly off of where you set it to be.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, »
Thanks! Was just starting to read about the differences between digital and analog.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced