Author Topic: Getting Started: Complete list  (Read 2444 times)

Offline softshelpro

Getting Started: Complete list
« on: December 09, 2009, »
I'm new! I have experience with soldering. I have very basic electronics knowledge. I am new to all that is PIC. I'm ready to get my feet wet with a project like the "Dongle" and the "Lynx Express" (complete build and download of firmware).

I need to know what to buy in order to program any of the PIC chips used in the (very cool) light controllers on this site. I would prefer to build a programmer my self (if it can be done cheep).

Any help would be nice.  ???
There are two types of people in this world, those who are Dorks and those who are in denial.

Offline BrianO

• Worst thing about moving....you have to reprogram!
Re: Getting Started: Complete list
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, »
I believe the device is called a PicKit 2.  Check on ebay

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, »
I don't know anyone who's "built" their programmer.

Try this thread for info...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Leon

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, »
Where there are kit(s) to build your own programmer you will find that the cost of the kit is about the same as just buying the pickit-2. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, »
One thing I found, the PICkit2 is only half the equation.  You will need a PCB with ZIF sockets to put the PICs in while you program them.  The little one that comes with the PICkit2 starter kit is too small for most of the PICs used in Lynx devices.
I got the Sure model from ebay.  Info at the bottom of this thread.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   

Hope it helps.
Jay

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, »
But Jay, you don't need the adapter if you're dealing only with LE's and/or Wireless.  The PicKit2 plugs directly into the 5-pin header on the boards.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline OkieJay

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, »
But Jay, you don't need the adapter if you're dealing only with LE's and/or Wireless.  The PicKit2 plugs directly into the 5-pin header on the boards.

John

Very true.  Will need someone else to help with the dongle PIC, but that would be the only one.

Jay

Offline softshelpro

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, »
Very good options!!

I have to laugh at my self thow. At the top I said " I have very basic electronics knowledge." but I ment to say " I have very little electronics knowledge.". Silly me!! 

I also found these units and want to know if they would work.

There are two types of people in this world, those who are Dorks and those who are in denial.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, »
How about buying the programmer direct from Microchip??

$34.99

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, »
Save yourself the potential hassle by just buying the pickit2 direct from microchip.  I bought 2 different kits, and while both indicated they supported the particular chip model, neither did.  Spent days on trying to get the dongle chip programmed.  Couldn't do it.  Had to have RJ do it on his pickit2 while mine was in transit.  Took 10 seconds to program.

Don't buy the knock offs... get the the pickit2.  And with LE's, the pickit2 hooks right up and programs w/ no issues.

Offline softshelpro

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, »
OK, so I found this one on ebay.

Are the "ICD 2 20P Header" or "ICD 2 to ICSP Adapter" that are included in this sale going to help with programing our chips?

What is the most that any of you would pay for this sale?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, »
This is where I got my programmer and zip sockets, but they are currently out of stock.

paid around $60 for the pickit2 and 4 different zip sockets that support everything in the Lynx line.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, »
I'd make a suggestion to get the pickit3 (when it is out, if it is out) instead of pickit2. Or pickit2 when it goes on sale for the new pickit3

Save yourself the potential hassle by just buying the pickit2 direct from microchip.  I bought 2 different kits, and while both indicated they supported the particular chip model, neither did.  Spent days on trying to get the dongle chip programmed.  Couldn't do it.  Had to have RJ do it on his pickit2 while mine was in transit.  Took 10 seconds to program.

Don't buy the knock offs... get the the pickit2.  And with LE's, the pickit2 hooks right up and programs w/ no issues.

Offline softshelpro

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, »
What is the advantage of getting PicKit3 over PicKit2. I have read the specks but they just talk jibberish of numbers and stuff. (I am new to chip stuff)  ;D

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Of course newer is always better (sometimes).  Spec wises i'll let someone a little higher on the knowledge scale to answer for you.

What is the advantage of getting PicKit3 over PicKit2. I have read the specks but they just talk jibberish of numbers and stuff. (I am new to chip stuff)  ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, by knguyen916 »