Author Topic: Two dumb questions about the SSC and the SSC Utility  (Read 1077 times)

Offline tng5737

1) As an example let us say I have a string of 128 nodes - when using the Smart String Utility
 if hybrid mode is selected - do you bump the node count by '1' making it 129 nodes?   Will the SSC be able to access the last node
2)  I have a couple of horizontal runs where I am uncertain as to the exact number of nodes needed.  Would there be a problem if I just programmed the SSc to a larger node count (up to its maximum of 128)  I think I will need 84 nodes for one run but was thinking of just uping the node count to say 90 just to be safe. 

Offline rm357

Re: Two dumb questions about the SSC and the SSC Utility
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, »
I can't answer number 1, but for number two, you will not hurt or damage anything. I need 46 node per string, but i'm planning to start each string either on the even hundreds or fifties to make programming easier, at least in my head.

All sscs receive the entire pixelnet universe and select which channels to use based on how you programmed it.

The only time that programming the ssc for more nodes than there are will be a factor is if you reverse the order of the nodes... if you have 45 nodes and tell the ssc that you have 50 inreverse order, the node on the far end will be #6.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tng5737

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, »
Ok, thanks - I'm not doing anything fancy - other than allowing the hybrid mode.  I will use LSP this year so strictly speaking I don't need hybrid. However , I think that it will be more efficient to use less channels whereever possible.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1) As an example let us say I have a string of 128 nodes - when using the Smart String Utility
 if hybrid mode is selected - do you bump the node count by '1' making it 129 nodes?   Will the SSC be able to access the last node
2)  I have a couple of horizontal runs where I am uncertain as to the exact number of nodes needed.  Would there be a problem if I just programmed the SSc to a larger node count (up to its maximum of 128)  I think I will need 84 nodes for one run but was thinking of just uping the node count to say 90 just to be safe.

Nope 128 nodes is 128 nodes

Mode does not matter except for total number of channels

Also you can tell the SSC you have 128 nodes and only have one node connected, it will work fine (channels might overlap but if there is no nodes there then no harm or foul)

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, »
Thanks for the response - Just to be clear about this - are you saying that when programming the strings for hybrid mode that you do NOT bump the node count by 1 (for the hybrid channel) when using the SS Utility?   In other words, IF my sting is 30 nodes and I select 'Hybrid' mode I would still only select 30 in the number of nodes window?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, »
This is correct however, you WILL have three more channels assigned to that controller for the hybrid mode capabilities so you would have to take that into account is your sequencing software.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving