Author Topic: Where do I order RJ45 Pigtails  (Read 4627 times)

Offline thestig

Where do I order RJ45 Pigtails
« on: July 23, 2012, »
Title says it all, I am looking for some RJ45 pigtails to go with the SSC PCB's that I ordered from the store. Does anyone know where I can purchase them from?

Thank you

Grant

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Where do I order RJ45 Pigtails
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, »
There are "straight-through" pigtails used by the coops, and there are "cross-over" pigtails available from other sources -- like monoprice.

The problem with the "cross-over" is that they have different wiring than what you have with the standard coop instructions.  You get the wiring wrong, and you can ruin your kit. 

After doing the translation, I did use cross-over pigtails and they worked well for me.  they are stranded, and therefore the wire is better than the solid core wires used in the recent aether2 and ssc v2 coops.  BUT you really need to be careful.

No doubt RJ will not be happy that I am throwing this out as an alternative, but I tried to chase down a suitable pigtail source last year to address my 50+ SSC PCBs that I built.

If RJ does not object, I will post the cross-over pin-out instructions in the wiki -- with pictures.  (alongside the 3-core pin out info already in the wiki)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, »
You PM RJ to get pigtails.  At least that is what I have done twice in the past.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, »
I am putting an order in for some to go in the store. I am currently trying to get verification that they will be stranded as they have been in the past. Last order was not.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Corey872

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, »
How many are you looking for?  I have 8 full ones from a recent order and probably close to a dozen which were cut, but not used from a previous order.  I don't use them due to water infiltration concerns.  So if you want them I could probably work out a very good deal!

Offline thestig

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, »
Im sending you a PM Corey.

Grant

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, »
Do these connectors have any problems with movement or moisture?

I see in the video RJ put together some of cases have a female connector built in to the box.

I wonder if it would be better for me to use a larger box and put the female connector built in the case wall. I'm only using four SSC line in.
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, »
What I did was get some cheap plastic containers from walmart that were "Great Value" brand and were hinged on 1 side. I cut little notches at the top of each side just large enough for the pigtail and ethernet cords to fit snuggly. Then lay the connection across the notches and snap the lid. The lip on the lid helps keep the rain off the cuts and since the connection is suspended inside the container any condensation that could collect would be not touching the connection. This survived many rainstorms last season.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, »
For water-proofing I've heard press-n-seal suggested.
Another idea suggested is using the fingers of a latex glove around the connectors.  It might be stretched to have the palm of the glove around the dongle case.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, »
Another guy I know uses yard stakes like for c9 and c7's and then invertes tupperware drinking glasses over the yard stake so it is open on the bottom.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, »
So the RJ45 connectors can be effective by water. So you have to have a way to seal the connectors.

What about movement. Will the connectors loose there connection?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, »
No, it is more of a problem that they are carrying voltage to the Pixels so that can cause the shorts. Other ways to protect them is use Corrosion X or No Ox (anti oxidant grease used for electrical connections).
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, »
I see. Just spray the anti oxidant grease on the connection and it will protect it.

I found this Cat5E Punch Down Keystone Jack on the monoprice.

Looks like I could use hook this to the wall of my box. I'm trying to hide the wires the best I can.
And with moving around I could loosen the connection.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, »
Here are some no tool ones/ Maybe easer.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, »
I used no-tool keystone jacks last year.  I think they are a good solution for inside a wall and behind a plate, but after my experience i plan to avoid them for upcoming kits and projects.

Water-proofing was not a strong point for them.  And I did have a one or two that end up losing connectivity -- maybe it wasn't firmly in place originally, or the wire came undone.

so, i have started to replace the keystone jacks with the pigtail jacks which are solid plastic and have a more firm fit.  I will also ensure that the jacks point down to the ground to protect the connectors from rain.