Author Topic: LOR LSP and LYNX  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Ralph A

LOR LSP and LYNX
« on: January 09, 2011, »
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my first thread.  I have a large Light-O-Rama display (640 channels) along with a IDMX and several DMX components.  I love what I see with the smart strings and would like to use them but have many questions.  I have spent two days looking and reading through the forum and have answers several questions but forgive me if I  ask something that has already been answered and failed to see it.

I would like to use the smart strings to light my 12 foot mega trees.  IN the past I have it set at 12 channels per color all four and  3 light strings (100 count) per color for a total of 144 light strings and 48 LOR channels.  This means a lot of set up time and many trips up and down the ladder.  With smart strings I could use 20 light strings at 12 feet each and have all the color I want.  So here are the questions:

1.  I see that LOR software will not work with LYNX.  Correct?

2.  I will need a different software program like Light Show Pro ( which I have but have never really used, that much seems, user unfriendly)

3.  I can keep my LOR hardware and use it with LSP not sure about other software programs, but will LSP give me the features I like with LOR i.e. shimmer, twinkle, and others?

4.  Will I still need my LOR IDMX? ( I think  that is just so LOR can talk DMX)

5.  Big question here.  Since I have many songs already sequenced in LOR and would hate to re sequence in LSP ( since I have so many channels it takes a lot of time)  Is there a way to copy and paste from LOR to LSP?  I will say that I tried working with LSP last year and there was in import but could never get it to work.  I found LSP hard to use and learn so I just stopped using it.  Had many error boxes.  I had little to no problems learning LOR  but I am still only three years into this.

6.  Looks like I will not be able to participate in this first COOP.  Not enough time to save the money.  I would need 20 smart strings per tree, at 12 feet each, for a total of 40 strings and if my math is correct that would be about $1,200. So If I am able to buy later in the year how much difference will there be in price and when will that coop be?  If any.

Thanks for all the help and look forward to talking with you all soon!!

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Re: LOR LSP and LYNX
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my first thread.  I have a large Light-O-Rama display (640 channels) along with a IDMX and several DMX components.  I love what I see with the smart strings and would like to use them but have many questions.  I have spent two days looking and reading through the forum and have answers several questions but forgive me if I  ask something that has already been answered and failed to see it.

I would like to use the smart strings to light my 12 foot mega trees.  IN the past I have it set at 12 channels per color all four and  3 light strings (100 count) per color for a total of 144 light strings and 48 LOR channels.  This means a lot of set up time and many trips up and down the ladder.  With smart strings I could use 20 light strings at 12 feet each and have all the color I want.  So here are the questions:

2.  I will need a different software program like Light Show Pro ( which I have but have never really used, that much seems, user unfriendly)

Not necessarly unfriendly, just need to take the time to learn it. Make sure to DL the current version and watch ALL the videos on the LSP forum

3.  I can keep my LOR hardware and use it with LSP not sure about other software programs, but will LSP give me the features I like with LOR i.e. shimmer, twinkle, and others?
Yes it has all of those effects and more

Lsp speaks Dmx without the idmx
5.  Big question here.  Since I have many songs already sequenced in LOR and would hate to re sequence in LSP ( since I have so many channels it takes a lot of time)  Is there a way to copy and paste from LOR to LSP?  I will say that I tried working with LSP last year and there was in import but could never get it to work.  I found LSP hard to use and learn so I just stopped using it.  Had many error boxes.  I had little to no problems learning LOR  but I am still only three years into this.
Many users have successfully imported  LOR routines into LSP with the current release, DL it and give it a try.

Thanks
Mike

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, »
I have the same size LOR display.  From what I can see the iDMX is dead unless you have an existing DC MP3 player.  This will lead the way for more DMX channels but doesn't help with smart strings. 

I'm sure however with all the hype around RBG nodes,  I wonder if there will be a LOR solution as well this year.  I'm not jumping the first year yet either until I see where everyone goes with it.  My hope is  there is a open protocol that comes out of it like DMX.

Offline tpctech

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, »
I am in the same boat.  I have been using LOR software for 4 or so years.  My display is LOR and DMX / Lynx with IDMX.   Xlight looks like the way to go.  It reads the native LOR S2 sequences and outputs to a standard LOR RS485 convertor.  It will work with the iDMX or a WAY cheaper Lynx USB to DMX dongle.  Yes LOR S2 without a iDMX!! :).  ALso Xlight will be supporting Smart Strings. :)
I think this will be the answer for us LOR S4 software users.

KEN

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, »
Another option is to continue to sequence in LOR and schedule/play your show using xLights. xLights will play your sequences on a DMX network without the need for an iDMX. Smartstring/pixelnet support will be added to xLights this year.

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline ponddude

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, »
Alright, there are a few changes coming from LOR this year that will make everything work.  First off, currently all the available Lynx equipment (this excludes smart strings) will work with LOR and all the LOR features.  The iDMX has 128 intelligent channels which will allow you to fade, shimmer, twinkle...blah blah blah.  I use Expresses and DMX SSR4's throughout my display.  LOR has made several announcements regarding what they are coming out with in the very near future.  First off, they will have the Cosmic Color Bulbs which will be just like smart strings but will run all the LOR commands as well as DMX.  John has said that they will be significantly cheaper than the Ribbon and it will run via PLC, which means you won't need cat-5 cabling anymore.  LOR is also releasing a much cheaper version of the iDMX, but no real specifics have been released.  They are also releasing some sort of ethernet based DMX adapter.  Dan has said they are working on it and hopes for it to be out soon.  Now I think, and please do not quote me here at all, that RJ said the smart string hub may accept an ethernet based system in the future which should mean you will be able to run the PixelNet setup with LOR without too much work.  Of course xLights is always an option and what I plan on using unless LOR releases all these things very soon and than I will be skipping smart strings altogether.  

If you haven't read this thread yet on the LOR forums you may want too...

Hope that helps you a bit.
Greg

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, »
WOW!!   Lots of good information.  Thanks you very much.  I've got new info to read and go over.  I'm looking forwar to the new RGB universe, it's really exciting!!

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, »
In an email I received from Dan he said the new DMX dongle would be ready for sale in about 3 months and would support full functionality on all 512 channels.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, »
Dan just posted the following at LOR forums:

Mid year on new, less expensive DMX support when you run a show using a PC.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, »

6.  Looks like I will not be able to participate in this first COOP.  Not enough time to save the money.  I would need 20 smart strings per tree, at 12 feet each, for a total of 40 strings and if my math is correct that would be about $1,200. So If I am able to buy later in the year how much difference will there be in price and when will that coop be?  If any.

Thanks for all the help and look forward to talking with you all soon!!

1. I don't know the answer to that, but LSP will run that hardware.
2. Perhaps the videos on LSP in the tips and tricks section of it's forum will help toward that end.
3. Yes.
4. No you can use standard LOR protocol of a standard DMX dongle.
5. Yes it will import your sequences, but I have heard there are some issues with it. I dontg know enough about LOR to tell you what those issues are. If you want you can send me an LOR sequence and I will try the import for you in LPS.
6. Dont know the answer to that.
Thanks
Mike

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, »
Dan just posted the following at LOR forums:

Mid year on new, less expensive DMX support when you run a show using a PC.

I'm afraid we could get into the normal date slippage issues.  I'm going to be disgusted if I have to purchase another overpriced iDMX devices for another year and take a loss on two of them.

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, »
Aurora software will also run your LOR hardware.
Chris

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, »
Thanks Chris, I did not know that.
Thanks
Mike