Author Topic: Developing Pixelnet compatible alternatives to the SSC  (Read 4209 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Developing Pixelnet compatible alternatives to the SSC
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, »
what really is the end result of trying to support other chips?

tm18xx nodes dim individually controlled leds
<insert favorite other chip name here> nodes dim individually controlled leds.

all the chipsets almost come in the same styles of lights. and if not, it's not too far behind when they do make it.

if it's cost? the prices have come down, and i'm with the more that they make, the prices will still fall in the long run.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, »
Chris, I agree 100%
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, »
Please take the time to go to the wiki and read what is there.

Specs are there
Pixelnet protocol is there
Why 12v nodes is there
Current draw is there

It's an open protocol...
It's all there.

The hard rules if you want to roll your own.
#1 - roll your own - new hardware, new firmware, new software
- writing new firmware for someone else's hardware is forbidden unless you get permission
- don't duplicate something that already exists

I may be out of line, but I think it is perfectly ok for you to design and code a pixelnet to 2811 controller, but it needs to be your own design from the ground up.

And this is just a personal pet peeve, but please don't imply that someone else should do it, and how great it would be if someone else would do it, and how the world would be a better place if someone else would do it, and why won't someone else design this thing that I want.... Would you like a little cheese with that whine.

This is DIY. Do it yourself, and offer the results of your ingenuity and hard work to the community.

Ok. Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant...
But please, go read the wiki.
Thanks,
Robert

I totally agree with this.

RJ has no problem with folks making their own stuff that works with his. He does have a problem with anyone modifying/copying his hardware and software (windows or firmware). Perfect example of a approved project would be the Bobcat tester/servo controller, RJ supported the project and I think even purchased one along with the servo controller.

If he didn't want anybody to use the pixelnet protocol then it wouldn't be in the wiki.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, »
Just my 2 cents., but if you want to get into design and other things go spend your time at doityourselfchristmas.com.  I get so confused over there by chipsets, controllers, protocols, etc when all I want to do is put on a Christmas themed light show.  I have enough problems with building. sequencing, etc without getting into deep technical details.  I don't have time.  That is the beauty of the Lynx products unlike trying to decipher 22 variations of Renard, props, helix etc.  My goal is a light show and now technical design.  The supposed cost savings are miniscule compared to my time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mike2tall

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, »
Just my 2 cents., but if you want to get into design and other things go spend your time at doityourselfchristmas.com.  I get so confused over there by chipsets, controllers, protocols, etc when all I want to do is put on a Christmas themed light show.  I have enough problems with building. sequencing, etc without getting into deep technical details.  I don't have time.  That is the beauty of the Lynx products unlike trying to decipher 22 variations of Renard, props, helix etc.  My goal is a light show and now technical design.  The supposed cost savings are miniscule compared to my time.

+1 to what Jim stated above.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, »
  That is the beauty of the Lynx products unlike trying to decipher 22 variations of Renard, props, helix etc.  My goal is a light show and now technical design.  The supposed cost savings are miniscule compared to my time.

Jim that is pretty much the bylaws of DLA.  ;D

We keep the the tech talk to a minimum and products simple to use plus we try hard to beginners friendly

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, »
Please take the time to go to the wiki and read what is there.

Specs are there
Pixelnet protocol is there
Why 12v nodes is there
Current draw is there

It's an open protocol...
It's all there.

The hard rules if you want to roll your own.
#1 - roll your own - new hardware, new firmware, new software
- writing new firmware for someone else's hardware is forbidden unless you get permission
- don't duplicate something that already exists

I may be out of line, but I think it is perfectly ok for you to design and code a pixelnet to 2811 controller, but it needs to be your own design from the ground up.

And this is just a personal pet peeve, but please don't imply that someone else should do it, and how great it would be if someone else would do it, and how the world would be a better place if someone else would do it, and why won't someone else design this thing that I want.... Would you like a little cheese with that whine.

This is DIY. Do it yourself, and offer the results of your ingenuity and hard work to the community.

Ok. Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant...
But please, go read the wiki.
Thanks,
Robert

I totally agree with this.

RJ has no problem with folks making their own stuff that works with his. He does have a problem with anyone modifying/copying his hardware and software (windows or firmware). Perfect example of a approved project would be the Bobcat tester/servo controller, RJ supported the project and I think even purchased one along with the servo controller.

If he didn't want anybody to use the pixelnet protocol then it wouldn't be in the wiki.

Rick R.

If this is true, then there isn't a problem!  yeah!!

I don't think any of this thread is dealing with alterations to the existing products, nor revising any firmware.  It is not a "duplication" of an existing product -- since there is no existing product that supports 28x1 chips, or GE color effects, or whatever is out there that is not TM180x.

There is also no existing Pixelnet-to-DMX demultiplexer -- as requested.

It's an open protocol...
It's all there.

The remaining question is the availability of the Pixelnet protocol that describes the interaction between the SEPARATE hubs and the SSCs.  The wish list includes defining the protocol between the Dongle and the hub.   The existing documentation covers the PC-to-dongle communication, but that is insufficient for someone wishing to develop another variety of controller that takes its power and pixelnet signal data from the hubs.

Can this missing information be added to the wiki?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, »
the pixelnet stream from the chosen universe, is unmodified (other than regenerated) to the ssc.

is an active hub was on uni 1.    what's on those 2 wires is the same that goes to all of the sscs on that hub.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, »
I think that what RJ is trying to do here is help everyone, If you are capability of developing your own hardware and would like to use it YOURSELF or if you get approval to share it here that's great. I have an example the Panther DMX Player. RJ said that it very cool and asked me if I needed help in creating the PCB. I asked about the rules on doing a COOP on it and he said that it must be at cost and that the coop must be ran by a coop manager. I know I'm not it not using Pixelnet. In the published documentation that has been posted it talks about build a device and that must be done to replicate the protocol. It he did want you to create a device for YOURSELF or share if approved then he would not have published the documentation. I understand were everyone is coming from but lets remember we guest in this DLA website as we do not own any part of it. No one said you cannot start your own. I for one like building things and am willing to share with the group as a form of saying thanks. But it I cannot share it here that does not share it some where else. We have to respect RJ's decision if we agree with it or not. I understand that as time goes not more and more people will become computer and maybe hardware savvy but there will always those who aren't and that's what this web site is about. KIS Keep It Simple.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, »
To finish the topic up, there is no reason we can not add 2811 compatiblity if the firmware can operate both. It appears looking at it that we could keep one firmware. But this will take me time to change the firmware a little. Once the Conductor bug is fixed and the slave firmware is being tested then I could look at it. But we will still be supporting the 12v version and I am not sure they are any cheaper.

There is move than everyone knows in play and we must be able to support it all with one firmware or it is not going to fit into the plan.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, »
To finish the topic up, there is no reason we can not add 2811 compatiblity if the firmware can operate both. It appears looking at it that we could keep one firmware. But this will take me time to change the firmware a little. Once the Conductor bug is fixed and the slave firmware is being tested then I could look at it. But we will still be supporting the 12v version and I am not sure they are any cheaper.

There is move than everyone knows in play and we must be able to support it all with one firmware or it is not going to fit into the plan.

RJ
<res.
Thanks RJ. I hope it can be done. I saw these and thought they would be perfect.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, »

RJ

RJ; the current price for a 1809 flex strip is $0.35 per pixel, the price for a ws2811 12v flex strip is $0.21 per pixel.,

$42/120 = $0.35

32/150 = $0.213 (Note it comes in 5 meter length instead of 4m. To live with the 120 node limit, one meter would have to be cut. I wonder if Ray could get them also in 4m length at the same price of $0.21 per pixel?)

Over the last 6 months i have been watching the price of all the strings (180x, ws2801,ws2811). All are falling in price, the ws2811 is falling faster. I am not sure why.

I have mentioned before that the Pixelnet hardware work, has great community support. If there were a way someday to support the 12v it would be nice. My 2400 pixel tree in 1809 flex strips was $840, if i had used 12v ws2811 it would have been $504. I would only be interested in 12v stuff because i really dont want to have to do power injection.

again thanks for making all the hardware work.

thanks
sean

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, »

RJ

Geez RJ....you're always dropping these little hints and then BAMMMM....out of no where it hits my pocket book!!  But, at least it puts a smile on my face when it starts to blink!  Thanks for all your hard work!  I appreciate everything you do for our community.

Duane

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, »

RJ; the current price for a 1809 flex strip is $0.35 per pixel, the price for a ws2811 12v flex strip is $0.21 per pixel.,

$42/120 = $0.35

32/150 = $0.213 (Note it comes in 5 meter length instead of 4m. To live with the 120 node limit, one meter would have to be cut. I wonder if Ray could get them also in 4m length at the same price of $0.21 per pixel?)

Sean,

Some of the difference in price between TM1809 strip and WS2811 strip you link to is that the WS2811 strip has 1/3 the resolution. Three leds are controlled with one RGB channel.