Author Topic: Pictures of them things I built for the academy  (Read 4707 times)

Offline combustionmark

Re: Pictures of them things I built for the academy
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, »
Glad it worked out. Forgot to mention that there was 3 models and what they were. The first 2 are the matrixes the third is the ball. The ball is just a couple of random things. I have noticed that the effects on the 3rd model restarts everytime one of the other models change. Is that normal, or just my old laptop?
Have Fun!

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, »
The "porcupine balls" are usually available at Cabelas. com and some other outdoor retailers.  Generally run about $39 for a 3 pack but I think that gets you the sphere only and not the spines.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, »
I have found 1 at basspro, The first thing I noticed these are designed for 1/2 pvc, the second the plugs will not fit through the holes, third there is no way to manipulate the wiring inside. I will be trying out a few options, drilling out the holes to fit 3/4 pex, splitting the ball in half, trying out different size of pipe. This thing would be a great display with its 26 arms over 17. I will post results.
Have Fun!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, »
I was thinking that I'd cut a slot at the end of the PCV that would allow the wire to escape before that end of the PVC was slipped into the ball's socket.  I don't know if this might weaken the PVC and make it susceptible to breaking due to stress on the connection.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline typoagain

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, »
I have seen the ball my self and find the design interesting.

As for the PEX;

Lowes hardware and most other hardware stores carry 2 different types of PEX-rolls is the kind most used. But there is another type that is stiffer and looks like PVC pipe but is more expensive. Just ask the clerk.
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, »
Back to the polycarbonate panels.  The flex strip in the Wiki will not fit the 8mm * 10mm panels as they are 12mm wide without the silicon sleeve according to the Ray's spec. I think he is using the 2811 chip/5050 strip which is 10mm wide which are not waterproof.

The 8mm * 20mm triple wall panel will accommodate  weatherproof flex strips.

Tom

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, »
Back to the polycarbonate panels.  The flex strip in the Wiki will not fit the 8mm * 10mm panels as they are 12mm wide without the silicon sleeve according to the Ray's spec. I think he is using the 2811 chip/5050 strip which is 10mm wide which are not waterproof.

The 8mm * 20mm triple wall panel will accommodate  weatherproof flex strips.

Tom
That particular item is 5v... the star burst was using SSCs, and I assumed the skull face (panels) used the same.

maybe this one?

I think the following means that the strip has a resolution of "1", or each LED has 3 channels:

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Q'ty of LED: ...............48leds/meter, 240leds/roll, each 3LEDs separately controlled
IC Type: .....................ws2811 IC;
Q'ty of IC: ..................16IC/meter (1 IC drives 3led chip);

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, »
There are 30 pixels per row so I don't think that is the strip either. Look closely at the panel picture and you don't see and controller ICs or may there is not enough exposed in the pic to tell. The strip you reference is confusing be cause it show 16 pixels/m on a 31.25 mm pitch. Maybe combustionmark can clarify.

Tom

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, »
I have located 2 local vendors for the  polycarbonate panels. They do not stock them and I will have to place a $500 minimum order + shipping. I have ordered samples of 6, 8, 10 12 mm in polycarbonate and acrylic double wall and triple wall. There are many online vendors and I may have to try one of them out. All the suppliers specify the thickness, light reflection, r value. Few have construction details, will the lights fit inside.

At 1.25 to $5.00 a square foot, and shipping on a 4x8 sheet, WOW. ROAD TRIP.
I want to make sure I get the right size.

When I found these panels I did not have a plan on what I was going to do with them, Then I found that the lights would fit inside, and a matrix was on the list. The only measurements I took was to make the wood frames, everything else was cut n try. I didn't think a 24x30 matrix was going to look so good, I just wanted to try it out. Maybe I will add more lights and do a teardown, there is 1 bad pixel, no green. I like the idea of multi season display, heads for Halloween, hearts for valentines, flags for the 4Th, snowmen for Christmas, eggs stars, flowers. The list just goes on.

I will do some sort of a build list once I find what I am looking for, and get a price I can handle. I would like to get a parts list everyone can do.

I did see a project like this before, can't find the link. It was something used on a stage, and diy

The ball things "poppers" are another problem. Treating them as a matrix works OK. Having the lights move outside to center, center out, no problem. Trying to get lights to move  front to back, left to right, or around in a circle, problem. The only thing I have figured, is to use different models. And how do you lay out the channel configuration? Light software just isn't set up for a 3D object.

Finding a pre made ball, good luck. The porcupine is good if you use 1/2 PVC. I want to use PEX. 3/4 PEX is close to 1/2 PVC. I have to drill out the holes, not much left on the ball. Using adapters, gets heavy. Might as well stick with steel and a welder.

Why do simple looking things get so difficult?
Have Fun!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, »
Thanks for the background on the panels!

What about the flex strip?  We are trying to find the same product that you used:
  • DLA-compatible flex strip
  • 12v
  • Resolution of 1 pixel
  • Narrow strip fitting into the channel (<=10mm)
Thanks!

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, »
Here is the video wall

They used 16mm triple wall polycarbonate which has 20mm cells. They were able to fit the silicon sleeved flex strips.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, »
What about the flex strip?

They are not DLA approved. I ordered them by mistake, and since I had them, I made them work. I don't recommend. They are 10mm wide, with the silicone rubber tubing removed, making them NON WATER PROOF. They are in a waterproof enclosure, or will be when I paint and silicone edges. Hoping for no cracks to form.

The DLA listed strips are the same size and pixel count. Use You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Or a 12 volt alternative.
They are tested and have proven to be reliable.

The exact size of the poly panels is unknown. A suitable panel is being searched for. The open edge of my panels is flattened from its previous use, the panels are old and have many distortions, making measurement difficult.

Measuring from the outside I am getting around 10mm cells. I also measured 14 cells and get 150mm that's 10.7mm cells. Now how thick are the ribs dividing the cells? I have looked up this material and the closest I get is 8mm panel with 10mm cells or 10mm panel with 12mm cells. The frame has a 3/8 inch grove for the panel to fit in "9.5mm."
Have Fun!

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, »
Here is the video wall

They used 16mm triple wall polycarbonate which has 20mm cells. They were able to fit the silicon sleeved flex strips.

Thanks. I have been looking for this.
Have Fun!

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, »
The flex strips I have from the Wiki are 12mm and will not fit the 10mm spacing even with the silicon sleeve removed.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, »
I know there were different versions, I only have 1 and it will fit. I have ordered more strips and I will give them a try. May have to order different panels. I will have a mega display panel.
Have Fun!