Author Topic: Trouble shooting problems  (Read 2838 times)

Offline jess_her

Trouble shooting problems
« on: August 27, 2011, »
Hello DLA
I try and stay up on posts but there is a lot of info out here. What I'm seeing is some repeat problems with the administrators awnsering the same questions. I believe administrators are very happy to help us out but as more members and equipment comes on line we will burn them out. I was on line last night about 11:30 PM PST, RJ was also on that's 2:30 AM EST gezz RJ you must sleep with your eyes open doing DLA stuff. It's not just RJ, rroland and some other key people also.

Here is my thoughts, In the industry I work in we have what they call TSB"s ( technical service bulletins). Here is an example...
---------------------------------
         Header subject

Lynx's Express has valid  3 and 5 volt power but board is dead.

Body of trouble shooting

Check 2700 capacitor for being seated to deep into the PCB and the coating on the cap is insulated from the through hole and solder pad causing the display drivers not work or partly function.

Pic not programed or wrong program
-----------------------------

Another thought is a trouble tree type of diagnostic repairs.
Then lastly a open forum on the weird one off problems.
Maybe some of this can be in WIKI

It's allwas is hard until you figure it out, then it's easy

Jess

Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Trouble shooting problems
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, »
I agree this would ne nice but we need someone to head it up and other to do the work. I would not be able to do it as I know you all understand.

I think we have had people that suggested thinks like this but it just never has happened. We just need volenteers to step up that can work together to make it happen.

As a side note it can be done well. I had a number of people bring up at Lone Star this year that they really thought our Wiki was not only excellent, but a number of them said is was the best they had seen for a non commerical site.

I have never done any of the wiki it has always been Rick with help from other members so they get the credit. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jess_her

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, »
RJ and all
I would be willing to step up but my key board skills are not my strong area, would need help here. I would be a very good low and mid level trouble shooter but the high level would be a stretch for me.  What my strategy would be for example is to divided into blocks.
They all have power of some sort
They all have logic of somesort except for the dumb hubs
They all have an output.

From consistand problems, design changes or modification develop bulletins.

All of these Lynx platforms would be in there own area  cutting down on user search times.

Jess

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, »
If you can type something up in word or just a text file

I would gladly help out with the wiki side of things.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jess_her

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, »
Let me start  with a simple board,  check here pictures and some discussion text on what we are looking at in a PDF or word format.  I have office 2007 and I think I can do pictures there if not then Adobe PDF.
Thanks Rick
Give me a week to get started.

Jess

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, »
I would also be willing to help in any way I can. This would also help me learn how to help others with their problems. I think an area of focus would be great also like the LE's, Dongels, LE's Wireless. I would be willing to work with these 3 as they are what I have. The Company I also work for have the TSB's. We also have an automated mailing systems that sends emails to our customers about bulletins and release updates. Another useful thing might be an automated new coop to members that have loggin to DLA in the past year so that everyone knows when a new coop has started.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline jess_her

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, »
Texasstringray, this would be great.  As far as auto generating emails/bulletin's that's beyond my level. It would be up to RJ.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Trouble shooting problems
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, »
I dont mind helping out here either. As a matter of fact, this is what I was trying to do a while ago in starting up the "troubleshooting" page in the wiki. It really is a large topic to get organized for easy navigation/searching.

-Paul

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
Leesburg, FL

Offline jess_her

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, »
Paul this would be great.  I kinda have an idea what it would be but it is a large undertaking. Maybe what we can do here is get a pm going with all who are interested an nail down a format.  taking the afternoon off from DLA  I'll pm first part of this week to all involved.
Jess

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, »
I am willing to help with this also, I have done desktop publishing/design for years, have all the software etc if we want to do pdf style bulletins etc - my perfered way as I can print them out and put in a binder on bench or in a ipad etc vs getting to main computer....

Offline jess_her

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, »
This would be great Myk,
 Anybody a software guy???

Been staying up with the post for the no power pixnt hub. I looked to me that between the PC/firmware their was some issues. Be nice if we could get a handle on this to.
Jess

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, »
As far as I know, only way to blow all the fuses was having a short in the SSC across the power lines and plugging it into every socket..

Myk

This would be great Myk,
 Anybody a software guy???

Been staying up with the post for the no power pixnt hub. I looked to me that between the PC/firmware their was some issues. Be nice if we could get a handle on this to.
Jess

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, »
I'd create a troubleshooting page for each item, and make a link under each equipment area to the page, so that you don't get all of the troubleshooting info on one page (might be overwhelming, or slow to load).  then we all can just work on what we can. or even work as a team on each piece of equipment one at a time, to get it started. with all of us sorting and searching, it wont feel like a huge undertaking for one person.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, »
Here is a quick example.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, »
Question for everyone:

For DLA only (not a commercial site) do you think its better to have the info in a PDF format or just text in the Wiki? Of course the third option would be both. Personally I see pros and cons to each and I will keep my preference to myself for the time being :)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required