Author Topic: Trouble shooting problems  (Read 2837 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Re: Trouble shooting problems
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, »
As PDF does providing better printing. that is a good option, but HTML does have it benefits as well. How I really this this working is storing the memo notes in a DB and using php it can be searched and then giving the user to ability to choose what output format they want on the fly. I have some php and database experience.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, »
I really agree that the DLA wiki is really awesome.  It was the first WIKI that I've ever found myself using repeatedly ... which shows how useful it really is.  Kudos to Rick for making it so.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Trouble shooting problems
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, »
There is a lot of tremendous data in the forums.

Before, I was trying to link the discussions to the troubleshooting page topics/categories but it was a very tedious process.

I think we need a general outline of topics with some kind of hierarchy to drill down with tags and some way to search the tags. I'm not so sure a full word search would do that much good for the forum information as there would always be way too many hits.

...just some thoughts.

-Paul

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
Leesburg, FL

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, »
Question for everyone:

For DLA only (not a commercial site) do you think its better to have the info in a PDF format or just text in the Wiki? Of course the third option would be both. Personally I see pros and cons to each and I will keep my preference to myself for the time being :)

Cheers

Rick R.
I would think it would work better in the same WIKI format. If you make it into PDF then fewer people will have the ability to update it.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, »
Question for everyone:

For DLA only (not a commercial site) do you think its better to have the info in a PDF format or just text in the Wiki? Of course the third option would be both. Personally I see pros and cons to each and I will keep my preference to myself for the time being :)

Cheers

Rick R.
I would think it would work better in the same WIKI format. If you make it into PDF then fewer people will have the ability to update it.

I too think it would be best in the same WIKI format we have.

Part of what makes our WIKI so good is that it is plan and simple. I feel if you start making it fancy then it will be like all the others and you have to be a computer programmer with 5 degrees to know how to use it.

Just my option
-Jeff

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, »
I believe a well organized, maintained, and searchable Wiki would be the best choice.  Of course I'd have no objections to having both the Wiki and PDF docs.  The PDF docs seem more suited for a customer support environment where they can be printed and referenced over and over by tech support to deal with many customers.

I read almost every post on this forum and will often, at a later point, recall reading some useful tidbit of info that could help me now.  It would be really nice if this were culled from the posts and organized, as I believe is the intent of this effort.

-Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, »
I recommend you stay with the wiki format. Changing to it for the whole Wiki was one of the best choices we made. It helped it become something so much more than it was by allowing more users to be more active with it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, »
Rick,

Isn't there already a way to create a pdf from a wiki topic?

This could fulfill both needs.

-Paul

---
Leesburg, FL

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, »
I would have to personally print each wiki out as my bench/test area is not next to my good computer etc.

I like being able to read from the tablet a pdf when on a plane, train etc to read how-to, assembly etc

just my 2 cents

Myk

Offline jess_her

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, »
hello all
I started the PDF thing. I since found out word 2007 you can edit pictures in it
So I think pasting word into Wiki would work for what we need to do

What I perpose is each respected parts of wiki for each platform, which we have this now

Have a description broken down into three parts.

Power,   Checking for valid power, led's/volt meter where exactly with pictures.

logic,     PIC, H11A1, display drivers, programing and DMX  with volt meter with pictures.

Output   transistors

The bulletins in respective wiki areas

This would be parts changes,  programing problems, changes to the board so on.

The last thing would be one off problems for the think tank in DIY forum.

Let me know what you think
Jess
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, by jess_her »
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, »
Hi Folks

This is an example of what I was thinking of doing last December. Of course pictures and links and other info can be added. Once a format is setup then a link to it can be added to the Equipment page per each hardware and of course the main page to a trouble shooting page.

I would not go crazy with layout and formatting in Word since the wiki does not understand how to display it. You can use word as a starting point but it will have to be converted into wikimedia format.

Example of the link wiki page
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Basic Info for Lynx Express (LE) Trouble Shooting

Here is some previous info that other members started putting together [http://diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting Click Here]

==Seven Segment Display not working==
:*Check 2700 capacitor for being seated to deep into the PCB and the coating on the cap is insulated from the through hole and solder pad causing the display drivers not work or partly function.
:*Pic not programed or wrong program.
==Slow Seven Segment LED Scroll==
:* Possible bad firmware loaded - Reload the LE firmware from here [http://diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Equipment#Dimmers Click Here]
:* Possible defect pic - replace pic and load LE firmware
==All Channels Flickering==
:* Possible too cold inside case - Add 3 C7 lights to warm up the board
==No DMX Input Wired==
:* Plug the cat5 cable into the DMX out to see if the Data LED comes on (ver 5 pcb) or if you start to see lights working with other versions
:* You have the Data led backwards so it is shorting out the DMX data
:* You have the wrong resistor in line with the DMX led causing problems
==Triac (bad/stuck etc)==
:* First swap out 6 pin opto chip above Triac with another one on the board where the triacs are working fine ( with power off of course)
:** If the problem follows the opto then the opto chip is bad
:** If still on then remove the opto and try again - if that doesn't turn off the Triac then the Triac is bad

Cheers

Rick R.

P.S. The above info is what RJ has posted when helping people fix their problems. That way I knew the information was correct :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, »
For DLA only (not a commercial site) do you think its better to have the info in a PDF format or just text in the Wiki?

PDF pro: the material is locked down, so nobody can mess up the correct answer.

PDF con: the material is locked down, so nobody can fix something someone thought was "correct."

;) ...

\dmc

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, »
For DLA only (not a commercial site) do you think its better to have the info in a PDF format or just text in the Wiki?

PDF pro: the material is locked down, so nobody can mess up the correct answer.

;) ...

\dmc

If someone was to mess with the correct answer I can just roll back to the previous version and block that user from the wiki. Problem solved.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jess_her

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, »
hello Rick
As you can see I dont know my software but I see what you mean by Wiki code.  Wiki is the way to go just tell us what form you would like it in.
 Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, »
We can add the content.

We just need to come up with an agreeable outline/format (created in whatever application you like) with definitions for each category. This can then be properly formatted for and implemented in the wiki (by many people). Anyone can then add content to the categories based upon the agreed to definitions and guidelines.

I think it just takes putting together some basic guidelines as to content for each category and maybe some formatting preferences (should I go so far as to say a "style guide").

-Paul

---
Leesburg, FL