Author Topic: Forum suggestion  (Read 2466 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Forum suggestion
« on: January 22, 2012, »
I and many other people have had or are having trouble finding information buried in the smart strings threads.  I suggest that the smart strings topic be broken into multiple subtopics to make it easier to find information.  I would suggest the following sub topics:

- Smart string nodes
- Flexstrings
- Rectangles
- Hubs and Controllers

I do not know what kind of problems it might cause, but maybe over time the moderators could review the SS threads and move some of the legacy threads into the appropriate sub topics.

I also think the trouble shooting area should be broken up into / have available sub topics by device type.

Maybe the porch could use a sub topic called showing off to get all the video links into a single more compact thread.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Forum suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, »
I agree, with just the added point of anything important needs to be in the wiki. I'd be willing to get some of the smart string stuff in if someone can help with me. pending approval from staff.
also, if you want to make write ups of information, but don't want to go through coding it for the wiki, I can do the conversion if you clear it through Rick/rj and send me the info.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

Too many sub topics can get really confusing.

I would suggest using the wiki for any real info that you believe should be findable, that you believe is too elusive.  Sub topics make more sense there, for any specific info.

The wiki is the place for quick info research, I would believe, instead of conversational areas.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, »
I agree that the wiki is the correct place, but it is woefully lacking in information other than specs and manuals and the number of people who are knowledgeable about how to put stuff in it and can write understandable missives do not seem to be in great supply.  Seems easier and less burdensome to use subtopics.  Just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, »
Still being relatively new to the community, one thing I would like to see in the wiki is the feature and function property placed on each of the components., much like RJ did for the EtherDongle.  This would probably cut down on some of the basic questions that get asked as well as reduce the amount of time searching through the forums.
- Mark

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, »
Great!

How long will it take to get it done?  I am looking forward to it!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, »
after we gather all the info to put in. : )

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, »
This is part of the success of the sight. Members coming together to make it better and easier to use.  <wd..

Rich

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, »
That was my suggestion in one other thread I started today.  Glad to see it's not just me.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, »
I created a basic page setup in the wiki for everyone to add content. Feel free to modify the layout as needed.

I know there are members who know how to edit the wiki and maybe they can be support group for it.

let me know if more is needed.

Rick
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, »
Thanks Rick.   8)  Should be a great resource.

Whoever can edit the wiki (not me) please include something in there about connecting to input side of the nodes and that the input side of the node is the chip side.  That would've saved me ALOT of frustration.

Some other quick ideas:  Measurements of the modules, tech words for whether they can light one LED or all (IE rect and square light all 3 vs flex and rigid can light one) and maybe a general diagnostic walkthru (Step 1: flash ssc for test firmware to see if nodes light, then to step 2 flash ssc for firmware, step 3 use ss program utility etc...       
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, »

Whoever can edit the wiki (not me) please include something in there about connecting to input side of the nodes and that the input side of the node is the chip side.  That would've saved me ALOT of frustration.   

uh, that info has been in the wiki for a long time now. Look at the chart for the smart strings

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, »
Let's start with the smart strings equipment first then go from there. Let's collaborate. What's in the forums that we need to pull out for people to find easily?

Everything you find that's important post in the thread. Then we can organize it all the come up with out draft.

I can then take the draft and put in the wiki that way it isnt all scattered.around.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, »

uh, that info has been in the wiki for a long time now. Look at the chart for the smart strings

Rick R.

<fp.  Looked at the chart dozens of times and it didn't hit me until you pointed it out.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, »
Get the pictures for the two types of ssc cases.  One that has a wire in each end and one that has both wires coming out one end.
I also posted a picture of a mount to hold the ssc under an eave.

Show the picture of bill buehlers smart string test set up.

Pictures of the smart string connectors actually connected to a string

A picture of the active hub mounted in the marine battery box.  I can take one and upload it if needed.

I'm sure I will think of more stuff.  But I like to see links to the threads discussing different mounting techniques that people have used - for strings around windows, on gutters, on roof lines, used in megatrees, etc  Often times I copy that stuff from a thread into a word document and then create a pdf file.  I will go thru my how-to pdf files and see what may be appropriate, I always try to keep a link in the document to the original thread and to the original author.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA