Author Topic: LNT curve & new 3.3V regulator questions  (Read 1405 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
LNT curve & new 3.3V regulator questions
« on: November 22, 2010, »
Not sure where to post this so I'll start here.  This is mainly for RJ as he may be the only one able to answer.  He sent me 4 new 3.3 regulators to replace my V4 ones to prevent the cold start issues we saw last year (thanks alot BTW) and they are a little different.  They appear to have an entirely plastic "body" rather than the old one that has a metal back for heat dissipation.  My first question is do I need to put the heat-sink back on with these new regulators since there is no metal to metal contact and plastic is a relatively poor conductor?  Not sure if the heat-sink would fit anyway.

My second question is about the Light normalization curves.  I bought a bunch of 50 count LED's from Lowes with their sale a few days ago (see attached picture for what i am talking about).  Are curves for these lights in the configuration program?  I didn't see them if they were.  If they are not, I would be willing to send a box for addition to the config program.  I don't know if it matters, but all mine are white...no multi-colored.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline batdive

Re: LNT curve & new 3.3V regulator questions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My second question is about the Light normalization curves.  I bought a bunch of 50 count LED's from Lowes with their sale a few days ago (see attached picture for what i am talking about).  Are curves for these lights in the configuration program?  I didn't see them if they were.  If they are not, I would be willing to send a box for addition to the config program.  I don't know if it matters, but all mine are white...no multi-colored.

Thanks,
-Keith

Reference the light curves, I have some of those and I think I used the LED M6 PURE WHITE 70 CT to get the best curve if I recall right.  The 50 CT set up of the same header had some ill effects during my testing.

My recommendation is to use the LE Utility and plug in 4 strands (Ch 1 -4) then program 4 different curves from the list.  Then you can use the Lynx DMX Deck to test the curves and see which has the smoothest set up.  Atleast this will help for this year =)

Some else mentioned you can send RJ a box, but doubt he will get to making the curve for this year.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, »
Yes you put the heatsink back on not that it is heavily needed but it also helps protect the reg. The plastic(special) does conduct heat believe it or not!

The lights as suggested you likely can find a curve that will make you happy but I would be more than happy to sample them for you. But,  here it come!!!!!  Can't do it till after the first of the year. I am swamped getting a show together and supporting users.

I'm sorry. But don't forget so next year you will have dedicated curve for them.  You will find that LNT makes a difference.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, »
That is what I expected but just wanted to make sure.  I'll find a curve to work this year.  BTW, do you find that lights from the same brand work similarly, or do most LED's work similarly, or is everything so all over the place that there is no guide except try them out?  I will send you a set of lights so that they will be available for next year. 

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, »
Hey RJ... I know the LNT curves are your Intellectual Property.  I also know you have a nice little device that generates the curves.  Anyway you would release that so we could help in generating curves and building up the library?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, »
The regular lights mostly are the same with a few variations. The energy saving ones are very different.

The Leds are all over the place and the colors are different between the same brands but interestingly the some brand that have different models are way different.

Bill had some I did that when the curve was finished I looked at it and said " Man something went way wrong." So I resampled them and the same. So I dimmed them with the curve and it worked???

In fact the lights I am talking about with out a LNT curve are in my opinion unusable but with could be used, even if not the best dimming lights.

I think he was glad he only got some of them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying