Author Topic: PLCC32 eprom - Can the pickit3 read and program this?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
I need to read and program this chip.  I see an adapter but I do not know if this will work with the pickit3 I have.  Here is a link to the eprom and the adapter.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I hope someone here can answer my question.  Can I do it and will it work with the pickit3.

Thanks guys

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Ron I am not going to say absolutely not, but I don't see a way to hook the PicKit 3 to the adapter. They do make adapters for the PicKit 3 though that I am sure would work. That is as long as you are not talking about the surface mount chip.

Never mind...I just realized what you are thinking and I do think that if you have the correct PicKit 3 adapter that your adapter would work with it. My only thing would be to get the jumper settings correct on the P3 adapter. I'm sure that someone much smarter than me here can tell you how.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
I guess I am not understanding?

This is not a microcontroller that you program. It is a memory device that would normally hook to a microcontroller you would program.

I do not think a pickit would have any ability on this as it is not a microchip device and does not support ICSP that I see. "shouldn't there is nothing to program"

The programming is hard coded into the device to access the memory and read and write to it.

When it says programming time as a spec it is not meaning programming code into it.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
As RJ mentioned, that's a parallel flash memory chip.  To program it, you need 22 signals.  The Pickit only has 2 or 3. 

You would either need to find a parallel eprom or flash reader or would need to wire up a micro (PIC, AVR, or the like) to it and write a program that would read and write the flash.  Not too difficult to do, but not plug-and-play.

/mike

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Thanks guys.  I Needed them for work.  We can no longer buy them programmed for some old equipment and I was just wondering if I could do it myself.  I have done all my eproms with my controllers from the coops.  I thought they were eproms. 

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline rm357

PLCC32 eprom - Can the pickit3 read and program this?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, »
You might want to do a web search for "willem programmer"

These are low cost programmers that handle many favors of programmable devices. There are many adapters available to work with almost any programmable device.

Good luck.
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

PLCC32 eprom - Can the pickit3 read and program this?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, »
Also, be sure to look at the details on the programmer. Most of the older models use the parallel port for communication and only use the USB port for power. The ones that are true USB devices run close to $100 while the others are close to $50.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA