Author Topic: Independent circuit to send DMX to a Lynx Express  (Read 1270 times)

Offline cubbieco

I tried to search for this but I may have had the wrong search terms.  I'm wondering if there is a small circuit that is designed to send DMX signals that the Lynx Express will read.  So basically be able to do a repetitive pattern without using the computer for times off the show or even have certain events triggered by buttons independent of the regular light show.  Motion sensors for Halloween & the like.

Anybody know anything like this?  I'm expecting it will be a custom pic program but I don't know where to start. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Independent circuit to send DMX to a Lynx Express
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, »
Seems like any standalone DMX controller with 16 (or more) channels ... would work.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, »
Yeah that's what I'm talking about.  I guess the root of the question is figuring out which parts of the lynx dongle are used to communicate the DMX signals and finding the DMX documentation to be able to generate the signals.  Anybody tried this?  The point is not spending $100 plus on a standalone system when a pic & parts might be $20 or $30 + some time.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, »
Sorry, I think I didn't understood your original question. 

I thought you were trying to avoid DIY, but it sounds like you want to make your own DMX controller instead.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, »
I think taybrynn was suggesting something similar to

i don't know much about but "i think" you create a show on a computer, and save it on sd card, then this just outputs that program information via a dmx signal, which any dmx capable device can understand (including the Express)

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, »
Brookshire software has a unit called the RAPU You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  that does this with sound and DMX but it is pricey $319.00 but I am sure one of the bright engineer types here might be able to make a similar device for cheaper. 
Jeff Squires

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, »
There has been some discussion by dmoore about trying to fully understand what this unit does:

It looks like you could plug this in (instead of dongle?) to perform diagnostics on your DMX setup (one universe at a time?) ... and it appears
capable of recording some information as well.  I think the problem has been that the manual is in chinese.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, »
I don't want to get into a technical discussion here, but generating the DMX is easy (on the Dongle, it's the PIC that generates it and the 75176 or ST485 that converts it to RS485).  A quick google search will give the protocol, which is quite straight forward).   The tricky part will be coming up with a way to create the patterns and download it to the box, unless you are using the box as a recorder.

If you are interested in creating such a project, PM me and I can send you some more info.
/mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, »
th link i posted was a device that is around $69 and looks like it uses a sd card to store the show. it's already built, and you can verify with Ray before you got one to see that it actually did that. plus he could direct you to the software that it needs to work (to design it's sequences)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, »
See my post in the following thread:

It show a "recorder" device that can play back shows without the need of a computer.

I initially used it on my second DJ rig way back in my young, skinny, cool youth.....now just for troubleshooting any and all DMX systems, including the LE.

you can also look at generic DMX controllers, these will work with standard DMX world.

you build sequences and /or chases and dont need a PC to run it. It does not provide audio, though.
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)