Author Topic: How many lights per arch  (Read 2434 times)

Offline cubbieco

How many lights per arch
« on: April 19, 2011, »
I'm afraid I know what the answer will be but I'm looking at the plans for a 5 foot tall 15 foot length arch from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .  Now they are totally winding the light strings as tightly as possible.  Has anybody tried to wind it less lightly for less lights?

I'm wondering if I can get away with 8 50 strings lights along the 15 foot length instead of 8 100 string lights.  Anybody tried this?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: How many lights per arch
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, »
I like using a odd number of strings per arch, that way the top of the arch can be lit

for a 10' length of pipe I used 7 channels of 100ct lights

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, »
For 15 ft. I would think 8 50ct. lights would not be enough.  I am planning 8 70ct. led's for a 10 foot section.

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, »
Well while I have your attention when you use a 10' pipe how tall of an arch can you stretch that to & what type of pipe do you use?

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, »
I think its 3 to 3.5 feet tall that all.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, »
No enough lights, IMHO.

It really depends on the diameter of PVC you use for the arch ... and the spacing of the lights your using.

I'd recommend trying it out and see how far your lights go.

I tried to wrap them loose (for my PVC spinners) and found it was a pain (difficult, not good, moved a lot).
It's much better to wrap them tight.

Some PVC sizes and light combinations produced lights that did not distribute well (light bulbs in same place each time around) ... so find a combination that spreads the lights around nicely.  (mine went diagonal in a spiral around the PVC eventually) ... I found my walmart lights wrapped nicely, but the onces from lowes were difficult because they repeated on the PVC size I was using.  I would start and end each wrap with a larger zip tie.  I used a PVC cap (more $$) to hold the wires on better on one end.

If you want to stretch out your lights, use a smaller size PVC pipe, but then I'd think they would need to be fairly short or they would become unstable.

TO model the arch, go into Google Sketchup (free) and draw an arch with a 10' arch.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, »
i'm thinking of trying the Smart string plastic rectangles mounted on a side of the pvc arch this year, instead of trying wrap more lights. that way, i can even do a very many channel count arch.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, »
People ask this stuff all the time - IMHO the only way to know if YOU will like it is build 1 and see.  I prototype up everything to see build process, cost, and if I like the finished product - of cource after it goes through design and rework .... but that is the ONLY way to know for sure if you will like it or not give it a test.  You may not have to do a whole thing but maybe do a 3 foot piece in a 50 and 100 and see what you think.

Harrison

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, »
I built 10ft long arches that are freestanding.  I have 8 100light incan strings per arch.  While they are short they look just as good and get the same attention the 20ft arches I used in 2009 did.  However these are easier to store, setup and move around.  I have 4 but am thinking about making a couple more to put in my side yard (corner lot) and make them into Marty fans.  I bought a bunch of 20 light LED strings after Christmas that look like they will be just right.  But all of a sudden I am using up one controller per arch.  Got to think about that.  The channels just seem to grow and grow.  Good thing RJ designs such a good product at a reasonable price.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, »
10' arches is the way I'm gonna go with 8-100 count strings only because of the yard size. I do agree that a proto build is the way to go. I asked about the mini trees and some use 1-100 count and like it. I didn't like it on my 30" mini. I ended up putting 2-100's instead. So, build it and see if you are satisfied because you have to be happy with the final product.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, »
I bought prototype materials last night (only $11 and home depot, lol).  Between strings I'm adding some screw in hooks to help keep things from not moving.  We'll see how it works.  I hope to be able to look at it tonight, but I also need to get my prototype light panel (using 6x4 net lights) and mini tree (a zig zag pattern that will use 200 lights per color) done as well so we'll see.  There is still time.

For my arches I'm planning to drill into a 2x4 to make a base that is a bit more stable so it won't need to be held up by rebar in the ground.  My hope is I can help use them for our community theater's Nutcracker presentation this year.  We'll see how it works.  Will probably take a couple of tries.

This is my first show and money is tight so it is a matter of making what compromises I can.  I've already ruled out the smart string mega tree this year even though I have the controllers coming.  That will be another year.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, »
I am in the same boat as you. My first year is gonna be the toughest. All in all I will probably have 2500 into this first year. But next year it'll be just add-ons. SO for the advocates of led's, we do agree with you but money is always the issue.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, »
I've already ruled out the smart string mega tree this year even though I have the controllers coming.  That will be another year.

You can always sell these too (or almost any of this stuff) it all holds it value well to fund other idea's too.   It is nice having a spare or having stuff for the future but new stuff comes out / improvements ... but cash is nice too.

Harrison

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, »
Try the sleeve method.  Use a 1/2 inch pvc 10 long.  Purchase some of the black sprinkler pipe that is 3/4" diameter.  Cut the 3/4" pipe about 13" in length/  Wrap one 100 ct light string on it and secure both ends with black tie wraps.  Slide the light assemly onto the 1/2 pvc.  I found out that this will be 8 sleeves and your arch will be about 3.5 tall in the center and you have about 3-4 inches off the ground.  What I like about it is that 1 LE will cover 2 archs.  Also storage is so much easier!!  I think I got this idea from Lineman last year.  It was my first year doing archs and I will do this again this year.  Real easy to do and works real well.

Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, »
Try the sleeve method.  Use a 1/2 inch pvc 10 long.  Purchase some of the black sprinkler pipe that is 3/4" diameter.  Cut the 3/4" pipe about 13" in length/  Wrap one 100 ct light string on it and secure both ends with black tie wraps.  Slide the light assemly onto the 1/2 pvc.  I found out that this will be 8 sleeves and your arch will be about 3.5 tall in the center and you have about 3-4 inches off the ground.  What I like about it is that 1 LE will cover 2 archs.  Also storage is so much easier!!  I think I got this idea from Lineman last year.  It was my first year doing archs and I will do this again this year.  Real easy to do and works real well.

Freebird

This is exactly what I want to do.  8)