Author Topic: Longer Christmas light leads  (Read 2310 times)

Offline CourtBard

Longer Christmas light leads
« on: September 30, 2011, »
So I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the leads on individual strands of christmas lights. The reason I am asking is because I have some lights that I just need to get 3-6 more feet on the lead in order to plug in. Buying a whole bunch of 6 ft extension cords is doable I guess, but if I could just splice on an extra 3-6 ft of wire onto the lead, I would be good. Is that possible? If so, what guage wire is used on most mini incandecent and LED strands? I have found 250ft of 2 conductor 20 guage solid wire at lowes for $9-10. Could this be used on the lead? It seems to me that the wires on the light strands are about 20 gauge, and they are carrying the standard 120v AC over them. The 20 gauge wire at lowes says max 30 volts? Is there a reason that solid 20 gauge wire would only be able to carry 30 volts where as stranded christmas light strings carry a full 120volts? Also, how long could the lead be extended to?

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
Re: Longer Christmas light leads
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, »
It is probably rated at 30 volts based on the insulation.  It sound like it is bell wire, low voltage wire. Not for 120v.

Extension cords would be the best option.

Offline meman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, »
I've cannibalized dead strings for this purpose before, but you might try some of this wire:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Good Luck,
Mike E.

Offline CourtBard

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, »
Thanks,

I found these two links for SPT-1 and SPT-2 wire:

Since the wire is only going to be used to extend the lead of a single strand of lights, I can't imagine that it would need to be anything more than just light duty wire. What is the wire that most of the christmas light strings already use? Can't you find that in bulk anywhere?

I guess if I were to buy some of the SPT-2 wire, I could make the extension cords out of it as well...

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, »
... I have found 250ft of 2 conductor 20 guage solid wire at lowes for $9-10.  ...

I would avoid solid core wire. Any regular movement like coiling, uncoiling, setting up, taking down, etc. will eventually cause the wire to break.  Stick with stranded wire.

-Mike

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
Longer Christmas light leads
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, »
I also use stranded core spt1 wire.
Donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, »
Just be aware that the fuse is usually in the plug for Christmas lights. If you plug multiple strands end-to-end, you could overload the wire.

Most strings longer than 50 actually have 2 or more circits. If you cut them at the right place, you canseparate the circuits and tie them to separate channels.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline CourtBard

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, »
Thanks for the feedback. I might go with a spool of the SPT-1 or SPT-2.

One other question is how hard is it to solder stranded wire? I have tried in the past, and it seems like there must be a technique or procedure that makes it alot easier to do. Does anyone have experience with this that could give me some pointers?

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, »
One other question is how hard is it to solder stranded wire? I have tried in the past, and it seems like there must be a technique or procedure that makes it alot easier to do. Does anyone have experience with this that could give me some pointers?
Like most soldering, it's an issue of cleanliness, solder, flux and a mechanical connection.

Don't use previously stripped wire -- cut off any exposed copper and strip a new, clean and shiny area of copper.

I personally prefer 62/36/2 solder -- I know that it's ecologically better to use "lead free" solder, but I'm just one guy soldering a few connections a week -- I think the environment can handle my use of lead. And the silver content really helps too. (I buy mine at Rat Shack.)

But even the flux in the core of rosin-core solder is not enough to "tin" (that's the term for turning multi-strand wire into a single strand using solder) a strand. You should get some flux to apply to the area to get the solder to stick appropriately. You can get flux at the Shack too.

Lastly, solder works best as a supplement to a mechanical connection, not as a substitute. First, I twist the multistrands of each wire into a tight bundle. Then, I place the two strands of wire as an X and twist the loose end of the left wire around the shank of the right wire and visa versa, so that when you are done, the wire is one piece that can lay in a straight line.

Then I apply some flux to the joint. Then I crank up my soldering iron to its highest setting, get the wire hot enough that the flux begins to boil off and then apply the solder, first to the tip of the iron to get it to flow and then to the joint itself.

Then I remember that I meant to put on a piece of heat-shrink tubing, cut out the new joint and start all over, putting the heat-shrink on the wire first.

It takes a little longer this way, but when you're mind begins to go, there's nothing you can really do about it except to accept it ;-) ...

HTH.

\dmc

Offline rm357

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, »
I think i've been there, but don't remember <;d
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, »
And after you redo the connection with the heatshrink, you find the connector backshell sitting on the bench (or backwards on the wire)...
/mike

Offline nvizzini

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, »
Hi
I also like to use heat-shrink tubing on splices. some electrial supply co carry heat-shrink tubing that has a cotting of adhesive that melts when you heat it making a water tight seal around the joint, good for outdoors. I don't have a link because I get mine from a local suppier "Nunn Electric" in Wichita Falls TX. If someone fines a link please post it.

Nicholas
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, »
Hi
I also like to use heat-shrink tubing on splices. some electrial supply co carry heat-shrink tubing that has a cotting of adhesive that melts when you heat it making a water tight seal around the joint, good for outdoors. I don't have a link because I get mine from a local suppier "Nunn Electric" in Wichita Falls TX. If someone fines a link please post it.

You can get it from Mouser.

We get most of ours at work from Waytek.

I'm sure there are many others places you can get it. Just search for adhesive lined heat shrink.