Author Topic: arches which controller best  (Read 1353 times)

Offline bulldog

arches which controller best
« on: March 02, 2010, »
what controller is best for doing arches?  The ssr4 or the lynx express?  Also can you run the ssr4 out of the lynx express like you can the lynx freestyle? I  look and look for the answers but sometimes it all runs together. Being new it is still tough to ask a silly question.  Just need some advice. :)

Bulldog

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
arches which controller best
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, »
Bulldog,  The coops are not the place the ask this type of question, I know your new so no problem this is not meant to bash you. Remember there is no silly question  :).  The best place to start is to check out the Wiki You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login it explains the controllers, then you can jump on that controller section on this site.  It's not your question does not want to be answered it just clogs up the coop threads and makes it harder for the person running the coop to keep track.Hope you understand.  Your post will most likely get moved at the very least removed from the Coop section.

Sort answer no, the Express is self contained 16 channel controller and it cannot control SSR4 only the Freestyle can run the SSR4.  Or the SSR4 can be turned into a SSR4 DMX as a Standalone 4 channel controller. If your doing arches normally they have 8 channels per arch and the arches are usually pretty close together or at least two arches together so I would use a Express.  It has a lot of extras that the other controllers don't have as you'll find out once you check out he Wiki hope it helps.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, by Rod R »

Offline tbone321

Re: arches which controller best
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, »
The controller that you use for your arches really depends on the size of the arch and how many channels that you want it to have.  If it is a small arch that is only going to have 3 or 4 channels then the SSR4 will work well.  The arces that I intend to build will use 8 channels, seven for the animation in white and 1 to light the entire arch with multi color strings.  In that case, the Express works best as I can control 2 arches with 1 controller.  The SSR4 has two possible modes of operation, as a Solid State Relay which serves as an output device for the Freestyle which has no high voltage capability of its own or as a standalone controller with its optional DMX components.  The Express cannot control the SSR4 and doesn't need to since it has its own high voltage components.  The SSR4/DMX has the higher cost per channel compared to the Express but some of that cost can be offset by the cost of the added extension cords if you are using the Express control multiple low channel count arches.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, »
I had 4 arches last year that were 7 channels each (I like an odd number of channels on my arches).  I used 1 LE controller for each set of 2 arches, so I used 14 channels total.  My arches sat really close to a couple of trees that I need 4 channels for, so I hooked up a SSR4 with the DMX option to the DMX out on both of my LE's and ran my trees from that.

So I was wireless to the Lynx Express, which ran my arches
and wired from the DMX out to the DMX in on my SSR4s with DMX.

This worked great.  Just note you have to have the DMX option on your SSR4 to connect this way.  Without the DMX option on the SSR4 you would need to use a FreeStyle to control it.

Does that make sense?

Ron

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, »
Beat me to it tbone.

Another note, the SSR4 with DMX is nice to have to add in 4 channels when you realize you've forgotten something or a tree has grown over the year and you realize you need more lights on it!

Ron

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

And there is currently a FreeStyle SSR4 Coop, just a few threads over.   ;D

ok.  there's another le coop over there, also...   <pop..

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, »
Which is pobably the reason for the question as now there are coops for both devices going on at the same time.   
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bulldog

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, »
WOW!  thanks for all of the responses. Ron thank for everything and that does make since.  It is so easy to second guess yourself.    Also would like to say I am sorry for posting on the Coop forum. It was late and just trying to figure out what coop to get into.  Heck I just got my first Express kits waiting on a Dongle.....   Now I am looking to get more.... I must have that blinky bug....

Bulldog

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Don't worry about where the post was.  Easy to move.   ;D  We do want posts to be read where they won't get lost.

We just want to make sure you can get what you want, earlier in the year, if possible.  Time sneaks up on us.  And this year is always practice for the next year.   :D

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues