Author Topic: Missing Wiki info.  (Read 903 times)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Missing Wiki info.
« on: June 10, 2011, »
First off the information on this forums is excellent, but being a Product Engineer in electronics for many years I see two important feature in the Wiki information on all the products.

That is a "Product Description" and "Basic Technical Specifications",  Sometimes trying to understand how several of the items works together or function gets to be a problem searching the forums for the information.  If there was a brief Product Description followed by a section of Technical Specifications like Size, Power, etc world be very helpful.

One other item I would change is the heading for the "Manual", it should actually be an "Assembly Manual."

Just my comments.

Was on the Teamspeak and Chat last night but missed the 1st hour as the painting of the interior of our house took priority, so do not know if this subject was brough up.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Missing Wiki info.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, »
Hi Dennis

That is a very good idea. Please start entering that information in the wiki so we can all benefit from it. There is a chart on the equipment page with some info but you can create a new chart underneath it for the Tech info

If I change the wording for the links to the manuals it will try to create new pages. But the Title at the top of the manuals you are free to update.

As far as Product description there is a beginners page that goes through that. It was started and worked on by another member so I am sure it needs to be updated.

Looking forward to your help

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, »
I have tried to add some information in the past but nothing updates.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, »
I have tried to add some information in the past but nothing updates.

As long as you log in the wiki with your DLA account you have editing privilege. Now unless you tried that when I was on vacation because I was ask to turn off everyones access to stop the spammers

Give it a try and I will gladly help you with any problems or info

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, »
I've been tempted to modify the Wiki for the Express assembly manual myself as it does have some issues, such as the order of installing stuff (it's supposed to be lower items first, but the instructions tell you to do things like install the voltage regulators with the big heat sink before the tiny little headers that like to fall out), and some of the resistors don't have the colors specified.

And I'm also confused about the 120 ohm resistor. The instructions say that it's Brown, Red, Brown, Black; to me it looks like Brown, Red, Black, Black, Brown. I had an ohm meter to check before soldering my first one, so it wasn't an issue, but I imagine that it can cause confusion.

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, »
Gary,
The 120 ohm resistor is probably a 1% tolerance part and uses the 5 band resistor color code.  Take a look at this link.

Tony

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, »
I did find a web page explaining the 1% tolerance resistors, but thought it would be nice if the document in the wiki had the color codes.