Author Topic: Finally got our website up  (Read 1822 times)

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
Finally got our website up
« on: December 20, 2011, »
Well I finally got around to finishing up our website.  I am by no means a web developer.  Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks,

Brian

Offline coachers

• Coachers
Re: Finally got our website up
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, »
Wow, looks good!

Taft is well represented!

AL
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline Sparky96

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, »
The website looks great!

Now for all the display questions. How did you hang all the c9's? I really like the density. What type of lighting is on your tune to sign? And lastly, do you have any videos for those of us on the other coast. I'm looking to see what I'd like to do differently next year.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, »
I think it looks great!!

I also like how you have C9 lights hanging from your eaves. I am going to modify that idea and make some hangers for my eaves that will position the lights where I want them and hopefully eliminate the need for me going on the roof. Thanks!!

Rich

Offline dulcich

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, »
very nice!

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, »
The website looks great!

Now for all the display questions. How did you hang all the c9's? I really like the density. What type of lighting is on your tune to sign? And lastly, do you have any videos for those of us on the other coast. I'm looking to see what I'd like to do differently next year.

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks

The C9's are all mounted on 1x2's that I painted to match the fascia boards. I originally had them spaced at 12" per color but thought they looked a little thin.  I changed it to 6" spacing per color.  The sockets are hot glued and stapled to the 1x2" to keep them perfectly straight. There is a C9 retro bulb every 1.5" along the eaves for a total of 1267 bulbs.  The are very bright. They took along time time to build but it was worth it. Set up and tear down should go quick from now on as they are mounted on eye hooks to the eaves.

The lighting on the tune to sign is Smart String pixel nodes.  I laid the sign out in Illustrator, printed a template and then drilled 99 1/2" holes in a piece of black coro to mount the nodes. They snapped right in the holes.

As for the videos haven't had a chance to tape the show yet.

Brian

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, »
Web site looks great! And you say yer not a web developer! :)
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline woodzracer

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, »
Brian, permission to steal the C9 eave light idea. That in my opinion is exactly how eave lights should look. All uniform and straight. You didnt mention how long your 1x2's are ore how you connect the lights from board to board. I have to assume that 8 to 10 footers are probably ideal for setup and storage but was wondering how you connected them end to end. Thanks...Shawn

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, »
Brian, permission to steal the C9 eave light idea. That in my opinion is exactly how eave lights should look. All uniform and straight. You didn't mention how long your 1x2's are ore how you connect the lights from board to board. I have to assume that 8 to 10 footers are probably ideal for setup and storage but was wondering how you connected them end to end. Thanks...Shawn
Shawn,

Steal away.

Most of them are 8 foot sections or less a few a bit longer to cut down on the connections.  The are connected with 4 pin waterproof connectors from Ray. My eaves are are all LED retro bulbs and there are 32 channels 8 zones x 4 colors.

The connectors are 20g wire and rated for 300V here is a link to them:

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, »
Best, cleanest roof line I ever saw and I've seen a few.  What a great idea. Congrats!

Leon
Leon

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, »
Best, cleanest roof line I ever saw and I've seen a few.  What a great idea. Congrats!

Leon

Thanks!!!!

Offline Auggy

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, »
Looks great! Love the C9 set up as well am going to steal it as well if you don't mind but my next question is did you make the candy canes as well and what did you use as well as what is on top of them that lights up
Where There Is Smoke There Is Progress...

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, »
Looks great! Love the C9 set up as well am going to steal it as well if you don't mind but my next question is did you make the candy canes as well and what did you use as well as what is on top of them that lights up

Thanks,

Yes we made the north-poles(candy canes). I saw a guide to make these using incandescent lights but I modified mine for RGB.   They are made out of 3" sch 40 DWV pipe.  I painted them with a white base coat then we taped off the the poles using masking tape and painted the red stripes on.  They have six of the Smart String rectangular modules inside and a smart string controller. This is all housed in the 3" coupler and they are topped with a 6" acrylic globe.

Brian

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, »
I like the north poles too. Did you do some testing to see what number of the rectangle modules looked best and 6 was the magic number? Did you ave any of the square modules to see how those worked?

Thanks,

Rich

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, »
I like the north poles too. Did you do some testing to see what number of the rectangle modules looked best and 6 was the magic number? Did you ave any of the square modules to see how those worked?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I did do some testing with 3, 4, & 5 but 6 modules had the best result no shadows and they are bright. I only have a few square modules and they were really flaky for me. I must have got a bad bunch.

Brian