Author Topic: SS Mega Tree  (Read 1265 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
SS Mega Tree
« on: January 09, 2012, »
I'm thinking about making my Smart String Mega Tree taller this year.

I went with 10ft piece of pvc (2")   and I'm thinking of going up to 20ft this year,

i know some of you guys go with metal poles, but can this be acheived with 2 10ft pieces of pvc?

maybe a 3" base, and a 2" top half?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: SS Mega Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, »
I did 4" PVC last year to do 16;.  With guy wires is was plenty solid, it was just a hassle raising it... i didn't use a winch.  The PVC would have done 20'+ easily.

This year I did 1-1/4" black pipe and did 30'.  It was plenty solid (with guy wires for the high winds).  I used a winch this time and it worked well.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, »
As long as you use sch40 pvc  and not the foam core, it should be sturdy enough. Although my mega tree was 2x10' x1 1/4 fence rail, I still put guy wires high and midway as well.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline meman

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, »
I use 2" PVC for my 14' tree, but it will definitely start to buckle in the middle if you torque down the guy wires. The solution is to spend a couple of extra bucks and some connector fittings, then cut the pipe into shorter lengths and glue them back together. The fittings will add the stiffness you needs for a higher pole. Just glue one side of the connector at around the 10' point for easy breakdown and storage.

The fittings also give you a strong point to add a set of guy wires midway up if necessary.

Mike E.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, »
my current pole was a 2" with a bushing, and a flange to hang the lights from.

i was thinking a similar idea about 10ft, and have this at the top, then use both flanges for guy wires?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, »
I still suggest (the red letter on the pipe) pvc. Guy wires high and midway. Or use the fence rail.  Mine was 20' tall and didn't budge with all the heavy winds.  ;D

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, »
I finally broke down last year and built a JUMP pole  (Jack Up Megatree Pole).  Talk about solid as a rock and no guy wires.  WOW.  See You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for details and complete instructions.  I've never read a bad thing about a JUMP pole, but does take some work to build and it is not the cheapest solution.  I am very glad I have it now and it made putting it up and taking it down very simple.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, »
That's quite interesting. I like the idea and may consider it. Thanks for the info :D

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, »
I used pieces from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  (the megatree hook head, the megatree pully head, and megatree pole pins)

and combined them with the "portable hole" from  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It worked great, and it stretched up about 25 feet with another 5+ feet with my coro star.  I did attach guy wires after a particularly windy day... just didn't like to see bending -- even with 1-1/4" black pipe.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro