Author Topic: A shocking morning  (Read 1078 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
A shocking morning
« on: October 12, 2012, »
Well this morning around 7 AM I heard the most awful noise ... I could not tell if it was an earthquake or a bomb blast.  It was a short duration, like a few seconds, but it sounded like someone dropped an enormous load on the roof or hit the house with a semi.  I ran outside to find other neighbors similarly puzzled about the situation.

It was a couple blocks away, at a home which apparently had a natural gas leak and the entire home was turned to a pile of rubble in seconds. 

The amazing thing is that the family walked out with very minimal injuries and they are all fine !!  They were all in the same room on the upper floor ... and the entire second floor was literally blown off.  A neighbor driving by at the time reporting seeing the entire roof shot up into the air, above the other homes!!

Talk about things that will make you believe in GOD !!

The family has 2 kids and 4 more they adopted from Africa.  The Father is a Denver Policeman.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My house is a couple blocks away and everything is fine here.

God bless this family and please check the gas lines in your home, if applicable.

I had two neighbors who were on seen in minutes, one jogging by at the time ... both were there to help pull out the homeowners
from the rubble ... one a fire fighter himself, the other a gulf war vet.   Amen.

Scott / taybrynn
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline kevr

• Little Gem Lights
Re: A shocking morning
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, »
It is amazing that they were able to survive this, it must have been a huge explosion. Property can be replaced but lives can't, good to hear that no one was killed.

Kev :-)
Grandad get the lights ready

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, »
When I saw that on the local news I thought of you taybrynn. You are the only one I know it CastleRock.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, »
Some interesting pictures to say the least!  To be anywhere in that house and get out with only a few cuts and bruises in truly a miracle!!
- Mark

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, »
I'd have the gas company come out and check out my basement - you never know!    I can't imagine how they survived THAT!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, »
It's easy to do, say the pilot light is out on the furnace...  then someone decides to turn on the heat...   after a few minutes of nothing, then they turn it up...  by the time the gas works it's way over to the water heater.....   poof!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, »
that happened here in florence ky about 2 years ago a couple of blocks from me, thankfully no one was home at the time. glad everyone was ok. i just had my gas meter updated 2 months ago and they checked all my lines. you never know.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, »
It's easy to do, say the pilot light is out on the furnace...  then someone decides to turn on the heat...   after a few minutes of nothing, then they turn it up...  by the time the gas works it's way over to the water heater.....   poof!

That would indicate a defective furnace since the gas shutoff should kick in as soon as the thermocouple cooled down and cut it off.  That should happen within 30 seconds or less of the pilot light going going out.  Turning up the heat should have no effect on the situation because once the furnace is on, it's on, regardless of the setting on the thermostat.  Even two stage furnaces always start on the low stage and once the furnace control board determines that it is operating properly, engages the second stage valve.  The one downside to having a basement is that natural gas is heavier than air and a small leak will allow the gas to accumulate on the floor of the basement with nowhere to go and possibly build up to explosive levels.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline typoagain

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, »
I am glad to hear that no one was hurt.

A family that grew up across the street from has a similar accident several years ago, but with sad outcome.

They were all in the family room and heard a big crash. The whole family goes outside except a small baby that was taking a nap in a playpen.

When they got outside there was a bad car wreck in front of their house. While helping the people in the wreck the hot water heater in their house exploded, with the baby still sleeping inside.

The baby was killed, 3 people from the wreck ended up in the hospital and none of the family members had a scratch on them.

Talk about a weird situation. it traumatized the family for years.

One of the new guys in Odessa TX.