Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 505 times)

Offline csum77

Getting Started
« on: December 01, 2013, »
Sorry for the duplicate post, but I originally posted this in the New Member Introductions forum and was redirected here.

I've wanted to do some cool light displays for a long time, but this year I've got a bunch of my C9 bulbs that aren't working & I'm struggling to find replacements locally, so if I'm going to order I figure I may as well consider converting to the good stuff.

However, having read around the forum a bit I'm recognizing that it takes some time to get this all sorted out. So, I'm hoping to start pretty simply for this year.

Here's my first question...showing my complete lack of knowledge. I'd like to be able to replicate the light pattern we had up. We swapped bulbs around to create the pattern RED RED GREEN GREEN WHITE WHITE [REPEAT]. Do the RGB light strands allow each individual LED to be programmed independently, so this pattern could be repeated? If so, what would I need to start with something like that?

I sure appreciate any help you can offer. And thanks to all who have contributed to this site. It's a great resource!

Merry Christmas!

-Charlie
Salt Lake Metro Area

Offline tbone321

Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, »
Not to rain on anyones parade, but your chances for starting from square 1 and getting it done this year are slim to none.  You would need to purchase the nodes and getting them in time for this year is not good.  Another problem with that is that all nodes are NOT the same.  There are different types of RGB nodes, different voltages and different chips that use different signals to communicate and you need to make sure that nodes will work with the controller(s) you intend to use and this is just the nodes.  Then there is the whole infrastructure behind that.  What software you are going to use, what equipment are you going to run it on, what type and amount of cabling you are going to need, what type and number of controllers do you need, how are you going to power them, how do you distribute both the power and signal to the nodes????

There are people who have been working with these nodes for over a year and many are still having issues with getting it right.  Unlike static strings, nodes are a whole different world.  On the positive side, they can form any pattern that you want them too but that is a whole lot of money and complexity for a static light pattern.  I do believe that someone is selling some C9 equipment in the sale/trade forum and they may have what you need for now.  RGB and light automation is a low of fun but it is not always easy and whipping up a display using RGB nodes in a week from square 0 is simply not realistic, especially this late in the season.

If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

Re: Getting Started
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, »
So what do you need:

Nutcracker software on your computer (free)
an interface from your computer to a hub (build if pcb's available in the store, parts available from mouser)
a hub to spread out the signals from the controller (same as above, probably buy sell section not many available this time of year)
light controllers.  SSC (smart string controller) for the RGB strips we use here
RGB strips to actually controll and make sure they are compatible
cables to go between all this stuff.

Getting that all rounded up, understood, installed, sequenced etc is not completely trivial.  Most of the online sources are sold out right now.

What you could do is order the NON RGB controller from Minleon that is based on RJ's Lynx Express, get normal LED lights in the different colors and be able to blink them. You will still need the software and the interface (dongle likely) from the PC to the light controller.  And then you can add on the RGB for next years show with SSC controllers and an active hub or two.

Alan