Author Topic: Making a Mini-tree with Smart Strings or Dumb Strings  (Read 5476 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Ok, my mini-trees are boring (to me, anyway). I know that I could just use some Dumb String pixels to spice them up (or Smart String pixels running in "dumb" string mode).

But, if you were to build new mini-trees with Smart Strings, would you:

A.  Use a cone shape like a Tomato cage and a 128 count string wrapped in a spiral from top to bottom? (if more than 128, how many?)

B.  A 180 degree shape and Zig-Zag them from top to bottom

C.  A completely flat shape (like plywood or coroplast). If so, what pattern would you make and how would you mount?

Those of you more familiar with Nutcracker, is there a specific model yet to help with any of the above choices?

(and while I didn't find any when searching, if there are previous posts on this subject, please add a link)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Making a Mini-tree with Smart Strings or Dumb Strings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, »
I'm considering a tree-shaped piece of white coro with a zigzag pattern of lights from top to bottom with zip ties through the coro to attach the lights.  The coro would be bent in a bow shape to look a little less flat.  i'd use coro to reflect/diffuse more light back to the viewer.  Using a consistent zigzig I "might" choose to sequence the string from start to end to have the lights chase down the tree consistently.

just a thought so far.

Also, this should be easy to store each year... just piling up the trees in a stack on the floor.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Nightowlz1966

• I thought I had more extension cords
    • Christmas On The Creek
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, »
I have been pondering this idea for some time now about smart or dumb pixel to make my tomato cage mini trees and here are some of my concerns.

• I have 200 minis in 3 colors for 600 lights on my trees now (your limited to 128 nodes on the ssc so you have less concentration).
  • Song that you have sequenced in the past where you have the trees lit white then highlight them with another color (requires smart string to light every other node or either using (2) SSC's and 2 sets of nodes.
  • One of the positives is it cleans up your yard with wiring now that you are running Cat5 cable to each tree
  • Another Positive is you have mini trees that are able to do ANY color.
Brian Flanders
Sharpsburg Ga.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I Thought I Had More Extension Cords

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, »
I am in the process of re-purposing the LED lights I replaced with smart nodes by replacing the incans on my floral wreath holders I use for mini trees.  One other thing you may want to consider is storage considerations.  Tomato cages and floral wreaths take a fair amount of storage space.  The flat trees are easier to store.  To me the big consideration would be placement on they look from the viewing area.  I would suggest that since it is still early you might want to make one tree of each type and see how they look at night from the street.  I replaced one mini tree with one LED tree to see how it would look and it turned out fine.  My trees are only 2ft tall with three 100ct strings of incans and I will be going to three 70ct strings of LEDs.  Since the LEDs are brighter the LED tree looked fine.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline barbotte

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, »
i made mine with coro ,,they are close to 4 ft tall i cut them in tree shape .. cut /drill 50 hole around it and push my dum rgb inside of it ..they are tight and then to mage sure they dont move i silicone them in place or hot glue them ... you can see them in  action in the 39 sec mark and the 2 minute mark on my video
problem with pixel is that i dont know if the effect would had been diference as most of mini tree are few feet apart  and except for few effect they mostly all on or off with few dimm ..i dont know if i would had time to make each pixel change color wicht could had beee pretty good
cheer

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, »
For 2012 I made mini trees with 30 inch floral easels and dumb strips.  5 meters of dump strip comes out to 150 leds per tree. I then wrapped the trees in green garland to fill in the gaps and give them more of a 'tree' look.

They are not as dense as my old mini light mini trees but they are easy to build and break down which cut down my storage needs for this year.

I already took everything down and packed up or else I would add some pictures.

Frank

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, »
This year I had 9 - 4 foot artificial trees from Walmart. I had 150 1804 pixels per tree. They looked great.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, »
I decided on this.

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, »
I did something similar.  Since here in the south wind and water are the biggest problems we face I decided to try to make coro trees that would stay dry and in place.  I will use 1/2" concrete rebar as a center stake.  The three sided tree will set over that and the lights (4 pieces of dumb rgb) will drop over the stake from the top.  The lights are attached to a piece of 1/2" plastic pipe which fit snugly over the rebar and holds the tree in place.  The pipe will have a 3/4 or 1" cap drilled to fit the 1/2" pipe on it that will fit down over the top of the tree to keep the water out.  I am looking for something that will fit into the 1/2 pipe to make a topper out of.  I haven't decided where to bring the wires out yet.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, by wjgiles50 »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, »
i made mine with coro ,,they are close to 4 ft tall i cut them in tree shape .. cut /drill 50 hole around it and push my dum rgb inside of it ..they are tight and then to mage sure they dont move i silicone them in place or hot glue them ... you can see them in  action in the 39 sec mark and the 2 minute mark on my video
problem with pixel is that i dont know if the effect would had been diference as most of mini tree are few feet apart  and except for few effect they mostly all on or off with few dimm ..i dont know if i would had time to make each pixel change color wicht could had beee pretty good
cheer

barbotte, I like the trees a lot.  you had a quite a few interesting things in that video that stood out.  the spiral tree, and the star spikes were each very well done.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, »
I decided on this.

Todd, not sure how I missed that last month, but I'll definitely consider it. I could use either DSC or one of my MR16s to control 5 of them (looking for 10 to 15 total).  I liked the idea in the other thread about using a PVC tube up the middle to slide onto a Rebar stake. No worries about movement then. I'd probably just put a bunch of the dumb rectangular 5050 modules facing up.

Top of the list for now.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, »
Yeah I like the idea of the pvc in the middle also myself.  My goal was for a cheaper solution, that example has 3 rectangle modules in it and I actually think it turned out well.  Just need to figure out the mounting so I can have the pvc/rebar in the middle, once it warms up that is...single digits gets kind of cold in the garage :)

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, »
It's funny to see such similarities with what everyone is planning this year...  Mega tree, rgb mini's/arches...  Anyone thinking Merry Christmas sign of channel letters?   ;D

I couldn't agree more with Jim about mocking some things up.  After sequencing it is my favorite thing to do.  I have been surprised how poor the best idea works and same goes for just the opposite. 

I am fully embracing flat stuff for elements from now.  Less lights, easier storage, and light control/spillage.  Something I've become interested in is keeping things in the yard that aren't lit dark.  A 3d element might illuminate things like cases, cords, or non lit elements... 

I plan to mock up a flat rgb mini with these:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  2 reasons: 5050 is at least 1.5 times brighter than the straw hat and no drilling just a dab of hot glue.  Based on my measurements I should be able to use 20 ($6) per 18" mini and it will be plenty bright.  If anyone is interested I will post a vid when built. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, »
The reason I did rebar/pvc was to use the pvc inserted from the top to push down on the coro to hold it in place.  When it is slipped over the rebar no amount of wind is going to bother.  BTW storage is a breeze.  The coro stacks and the pvc with lights goes in a box.  That is the other plus to this layout.
Here is a same of what it looks like.  Please excuse the coro it has shipping labels on the inside.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, by wjgiles50 »

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, »
RGB nodes are brighter than LEDs or incans so light density isn't as important as what you want to with your tree in your show.

PK and I built a smart mini tree using 2 128 node strings folded into 16 node segments.  We used plastic strapping with holes drilled and spaced evenly.  We used a tomato cage for the skeleton and wire to attach the straps/lights to the cage.  The nutcracker effects looked great on it.  As a prototype this method was fine.  If we were to do it again I think we'd try to use a different method of construction.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login