Author Topic: Co-op question  (Read 557 times)

Offline rimist

Co-op question
« on: January 01, 2012, »
I'm almost afraid to ask this question, but I've never been one to keep my mouth shut, so why start now?

Why is there a limit on dollars for a co-op? I'm guessing that there is a quantity limit, for example on the express because the co-op manager wants to be able to see over the top of the boxes, or possibly because they have a life :)

Is there any chance, seeing how quickly the express co-op originally filled up (thanks for extending!), that a group of co-op managers could work together or with volunteer assistants to hold a mega co-op? Looking at the demand I would think the price per unit could really drop if there was no limit on orders.

Just out of curiosity, if you wanted to buy more than six expresses, please post here the total number you want (including the ones you actually ordered, assuming you did)

Separately, if you would be willing to assist with sorting and packaging for a mega co-op within a two hour drive of your home, please post something like "I'd help"

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Co-op question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, »
I'd help.  I am in the austin area, can can go to houston, dallas, or san antonio.

I think the 2 I've asked for in the current coop will do me, but I have 8 LE PCBs/heatsinks pending... and a coop to get the missing parts would be great.

Also a coop for the pigtails is highly interesting to me...  I just got cables for 10 LEs -- wow, that is a nice chunk of the price!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, »
I'm not speaking for RJ but there's probably a couple different reasons that one could limit the coop, by keeping the numbers lower, it's easier to get a quantity of an item, (say from mouser) than it would to get say 1000, as opposed to 300. 

also, RJ, has his dad helping him, He's fast but I'm sure he doesn't want to stress the guy out.

also by doing the small quick ones, there's probably less worry over did everyone get covered.  Not to mention, RJ usually programs the pics for us, so that takes time as well.

He does several Express coops throughout the year. So if you don't get all you want, then jump in early on the next one.
I've jumped in a couple last year. I'm not finished with my purchases, but I've sat out the past couple (including this one) so that other people (especially new guys) can get in on having one.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, »
I do not think we need a poll on this thanks.

The cost does not drop after a certain point so any extra cost of shipping to split up a mega coop would drive the cost up.

Pcbs cost go down very slowly after the first few hundreds. Ship goes up though

The parts breaks we get already bumped to the next levels ofter and I do not see us doing 5000 units in coops so no more savings there.

A mega coop would slow thing down since no one stocks enough to do that many so by running one and depliting their stock it caused more to be ordered so by the time the coop is doen they are getting stock back.

We will have more coops don't worry everyone just let us do our stuff. We pretty well have the stuff figured out after five years of doing it.

RJ

P.s. the limit for coops is only there to allow Bill and I to keep coop managers from running large coops without our approval.  It is to limit exposure of something going wrong on a coop. Hasn't happened yet but maybe because we keep our hand on the thorottle and a eye on them. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, by RJ »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying