Author Topic: I know what I want - but what to order  (Read 1008 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I know what I want - but what to order
« on: September 19, 2011, »
Since I could not spend any money on Aether II it is time to go a different direction.  I want to get some smart string nodes, probably 128 per string just need to finalize how many strings.  But I am confused by all the threads I have read. 

Besides the strings I "guess"  I should order a tester, but which one?  I made note of two that I have seen mentioned, a TM 1804 and a TX 2010-x.  Which of these should I order or is there a better one? 

Do I need to order the 3 conductor cable (at 100m minimum)? 

Do I need to order 3 conductor connectors?  and if so how many would be appropriate? 

I already have SSCs and a hub and two good power supplies that were recommended on the forum.  Also picked up the battery box from Walmart today.  I am only planning on replacing my top roof line and my gutter line with SS for now and may even stay in string mode for this year.  Too many things to learn.  And even without the SSs I have added another 80 channels of LEDs so lots to do yet.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: I know what I want - but what to order
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, »
order a tester, but which one?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know that you NEED a tester if you have SSC(s) on hand to test with.  This might be a place to save $20.
I have one of these and it is nice, but I also didn't have a SSC at the time to test with.

Do I need to order the 3 conductor cable (at 100m minimum)?
Yes, you need the wire if you want to extend or splice smart strings AFTER the SSC  ... if not, then you might be able to skip the wire. 
It depends on what your doing.  These would be to extend distances between nodes or modules.  If you have someone around you who is also into DLA, they could share the cost with you.  I split mine 50/50 with friend and its plenty of wire for both of us, but I"m not doing roof lines.

Do I need to order 3 conductor connectors?
THey are kind of nice, esp. for connecting things to the SSC output or to interconnect sections.
You don't need to have them, but they make modularizing things a lot easier.  I'd get one pair for each SSC and then
another pair for any place where you want to possibly interconnect modules, flex strips, nodes. etc.  Also think about
failure points ... with these connectors, you could easily take out a failed section and then replace with a backup, without having
to splice in the field

I recommend putting your order in a basket, then asking Ray for a combined shipping quote ... as it is almost always cheaper that way.
You can also chat as well.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, »
If you already have some SSC's, you really don't need to pick up a tester from Ray.  You can simply flash one or more of the SSC's with the test firmware and let them test them for you.  The problem with Ray's tester is that it can make some of the nodes function that the SSC can't.  You don't need the three wire connectors if you don't want them.  You can solder the strings directly to their controllers.  If you do want them, then you only need one per string.  I would order a few extra nodes when you put in your order because it will go without saying that some will be bad and it's getting a bit late for Ray to get you replacements in time for this season if you are putting in your first order now.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, »
Jim.
Don't buy any 3 conductor wire. I have almost a whole roll and I am not going to need any more. If any other members need wire, send me a pm.
The 3 wire connectors are really handy.
tbone321 is right. Order more than you need.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, »
I ordered 4 strings at 128 and 4 strings at 50 plus some of the 3 wire connectors.  Supposedly they were shipped today so we will see how long it takes.  I had the same problem as some other folks with getting a credit card to go thru, but I called the bank and they cleared the order and watched as I paid for it online so that I could be sure it would go thru.  Soldered up my SSCs today, but don't have the PVC pipe yet so cannot finish.  I also just received the dyes today to stain the PVC so I have that to do as well.  Now to get it all done before the strings arrive so I will be ready to test them ASAP.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA