Author Topic: Trouble Shooting Dumb Strings...  (Read 700 times)

Offline Kappa2006

Trouble Shooting Dumb Strings...
« on: December 14, 2012, »
I just tested my mega tree for the first time tonight...i have 8 strands of dumb strings being controlled by 2 mr-16s.  I have one problem strand and I'm stumped.  The green led's are not working when the green channel is on, and when i have that strand set to off completely, the nodes are illuminated green very dimly.  Red and blue leds are operating properly at all times.  I disconnected the harness from the lights and checked voltages at the connector and have good 12 volts when checking between the yellow wire and all 3 colored wires.  Since the green is slightly illuminated on the entire string when the channel values are set to 0, could there be a short in the strands wiring at some point between the green and yellow wires, since there's always power at the yellow wire (from the mr16)? 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, by Kappa2006 »
First show, 2011: 48 channels (ssr4's, lynx express, MR16), sequenced with Vixen, using 5000 led and incandescent lights

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Re: Trouble Shooting Dumb Strings...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, »
What happens of you plug the strings into a different connector? does the problem follow the string? If not if you plug a different string in does it do the same this. If the problem does not follow the string then it;s somewhere from the connector back to the MR16. make sure the solder on the MR16 nesr the resistor and capacitor for the green line has a good connection as I believe it brings it high to avoid it have a low to ground connection when it should be off. If it follows the String then it might be in your soldering of the connection on to the string check that for a short with a multimeter.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, »
does the dim green show up for the entire string? or after a certain spot?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sielbear

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, »
I had a similar issue with an entire strand from Ray. I ultimately replaced the strand.

Also, to improve your shooting, I suggest a very stable position, ideally with support from an external structure. Take nice, controlled breaths. Wait until the dumb string is within range - verify no people, animals, or smart strings are behind the dumb strings, and squeeze the trigger. Following these simple steps will help improve your shooting accuracy and ensure a safe, happy dumb string season!

:)

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, »
These are dumb pixels? (not strips)

depending on where these are installed, you may be able to visually find the bad wiring spot. I agree that there is a wire crossed somewhere.