Author Topic: Using Smart Strings leads to a better life  (Read 940 times)

Offline tonyv2842

Using Smart Strings leads to a better life
« on: April 10, 2011, »
I just had to share this.  Recently, things have been falling apart and breaking around me at an alarming rate.  For example, turn on the light in a room and pop, need to change the bulb.  Yeah I know, that happens to everybody.... three in three days??? weird.  Then, build 4 dongles and one looks like it may have a bad USB module, again, way out of the norm when looking at the law of averages, but hey, it happens.  Turn on the water to the outside of the house and find out that the pipe must have frozen this winter because it's broken and with the valve open, it's spraying water like the bellagio.  Never happened before, why now after all these years?  Turned on the computer this morning and it reported a CPU failure.  Say what???? Did all the normal stuff and best I could get to happen was it would hang there and not do much of anything.  Ok, grreat, now I need a computer?  Well, I just recently ordered a power supply for my smart strings late last week.  Hey, I don't have a new CPU to put in the computer but I sure do have a nifty power supply that I just bought, why not try that???  Replaced the power supply with the new one.  Problem solved!!  Went to newegg to order another one to replace the one I just used, and they are offering another $10 off what I paid for it just like three days ago.  Heck, I bought two!  So, like I said, smart strings can give you a better life!  That's how I'm looking at it anyway.
Tony

Offline tng5737

Re: Using Smart Strings leads to a better life
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, »
Like the song says, "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..."
I always have a spare power supply or two on hand.  It is surprising how many of them fail.
Hope your 'luck' takes a turn for the better! ;D

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, »
If you keep blowing light bulbs I would chack you neutral connections at you meter base and breaker panel this is a sign we look at to let us know when someones neutral is loose or not making a good connection. just thought I would let you know
Jeff

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, »
Thanks for the concern and the tip lineman!  In fact, the nuetral coming into the house did in fact break about three years ago and the electric company came and replaced the line from the pole to the house because of it.  Lights blowing was the second question they asked me after "have you noticed the lights flickering and motors slowing down and speeding up for no reason?"

Offline tonyv2842

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Like the song says, "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..."
I always have a spare power supply or two on hand.  It is surprising how many of them fail.
Hope your 'luck' takes a turn for the better! ;D

Thanks!  Things are looking up already.  Just thought you'd all get a kick out of it.

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, »
If it's just one light fixture you are having problems with, or 1 peticular socket....

1 turn off power (switch off)
2 remove lamp (bulb)
3 gently pull up on center tab at bottom of socket
4 insert lamp
5 test

I have seen this more and more lately......the solder blob on the center circle of a light bulb varies in size, and has a tendancy to
compress the "hot"  tab in the socket. When a lamp blows, the replacement may have poor connection to the tab.

Hope your luck changes......
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, by wwwgator »
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)