Author Topic: Rabbits are destroying my show before I even get started  (Read 1242 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I need advise.  I've got a lot of rabbits in my yard and vicinity.  In the last week, they have chewed through about 6-7 of my 24 cords for the rgb megatree.  They have also destroyed the cat5 that I ran the show with.  I left a few display items out on my back porch for a couple weeks ... and those are badly eaten ... they chew through the wires, and even eat the shells of the nodes.  I don't know what I'm gonna do ... but my problem has gone from having a cord or two lost over a months time ... to now I'm getting eaten alive almost daily.  I'm not sure what I can do, living in a suburban neighborhood.  Shooting isn't an option.  Poisoning might be, but probably comes with more problems that I know of.  I'm not sure trapping is an option ... and all of the repellants I've read of need to re-applied quite often and have only various levels of success.  Advice appreciated! 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Rabbits are destroying my show before I even get started
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, »
Liquid Fence

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, »
Thanks Chris -- had good reviews -- I hope it works!!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline dkulp

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, »

It may depend on your rabbit.  I tried that two years ago.  Sprayed it right ON the cables and the rabbit still bit through it.  At one point, I started spiral wrapping the wires:

in the places where the rabbit frequented, but that turned into more of a pain than just fixing the cables.   Then resorted to traps. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, »
Thanks everyone.  I bought the liquid fence, just have a few concentrated spots I needed to spray it.  Wow, its strong.  Smells like a lot of spices or something.  I'm also going to tip tie up the dangling cords to my conduit and possibly put some chicken wire around the big 1/2 tree base.  I've also got some poly tubing I could put it in, but that looks like more trouble than its worth right now.  If this doesn't work, they will be trapped.

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, »
What about a Terrier or two outside for the night   <fp.

Slingshots work, but you just cannot win this fight.  Might have to protect more areas with wire rabbit fencing, maybe take the advice of the New York fireman that won the Christmas Light Fight last year and bury as many cables as you can in a slit you pry open with a flat spade shovel, or put them into some pvc pipe if you can hide it.  Black abs pipe might work, just make it so the bunnies cannot get in!

Offline Exitfourxmas

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, »
I use Repels-All, works great.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, »
Sounds like you may need to set a few traps and re-locate some varmits.
Leon

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, »
I think what I've had in the past was smaller rabbits ... and a pretty regular owl population.  Now what I'm seeing are some larger bunnies ... who seem far more capable of chomping through wires, and haven't seen or heard the owls.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, »
I've heard that hair (like cuttings from a barber shop) sprinkled around will keep deer away.  Might work for rabbits too.  What about spraying the problem areas with pepper spray?

My $0.02,
-Keith

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, »
I've heard that hair (like cuttings from a barber shop) sprinkled around will keep deer away.  Might work for rabbits too. 

I've heard about this too...  It's supposed to work also for rabbits.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline towtruck

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, »
I have been using a Havahart trap to relocate my 'problem' squirrels.  I treat them to some nice music for their journey to their new home.  I don't think they appreciate Rammstein.  Last year I relocated 18.  This year I am up to 6 so far.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, »
We all have a lot of wires in the yard.  I happen to have green, black and white colored wires.  Interestingly, I have only had the green ones eaten.
Certainly not a lot of science behind my observation but might be good to look into!

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, »
I have had good luck with Liquid Fence too.  I used to have bunnies living under the bump out of my house.  They still frolic and crap in my yard, but I haven't had any damaged cables this year (knock on wood!)  The ingredients is interesting.  I'm sure if you wanted to, you could probably make a similar home made concoction.  But, time is always of the essence.

Can't wait to see/hear your show this year!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, »
Yes, I was starting to think color might matter, but they have eaten plenty of yellow cat5(s), and orange power cords, along with green ones.  They don't seem to like the green spt2 (indoor) cords at all.  Oh yeah, found some red and orange cat5 eaten as well ... so I don't think they care.  Also, they like the toxic waterproofing on the smart string nodes a lot ... even ate down the harder inner casting of about 10 nodes.  I still remember my roommate in college getting a bunny as a present from his girlfriend ... and that beast ate anything and everything in sight.  It really made me realize why so many bunnies in captivity have to live in a wire cage.  I agree, there appears to be home brews on the internet galore ... but if it works, its really worth it already.  If the premixed smells this strong, I can't imagine what the concentrate would be like !  So far, no additional damage.  In fact, I haven't seen them in the front yard at all lately ... which is a good sign ... and last night the OWLS were out in full force --- I'm pretty sure one of them must have been perched on top my 8' Holdman start which is sitting on top of my highest point of the roof .... YES !!!