Author Topic: SSC Testing function question  (Read 1139 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

SSC Testing function question
« on: May 04, 2012, »
I am reworking some of my pixel strings by adding an additional 5 pixels to each string.

Using an SSC with the PIC programmed with the TEST code I did the following.

I tested each original string that had 80 pixels from my mega tree last Christmas and the string worked fine.

I tested the 5 add in pixels and they worked fine. i.e. went through the color cycling test over and over.

I added these new pixels to the beginning of the string like so: SSC --- 5 New pixels --- 80 original pixels.

I have had this situation now happen on 2 different strings and slightly different results.

The first string when connected to the Test SSC would do the Red -> Green -> Blue -> White then just halt with the string in the white mode. I would have to power down the string to restart it and it stopped on the white every time.

I then connected the same string to my TH2010-X Controller and the string would go through all it's paces without any halting at all.

I tried 2 different power supplies with the SSC and that didn't make any difference.

The second string behaved similallry but I couldn't just turn the power on and off, I had to wait 10 or 15 seconds to turn it back on or it would come on all white.

The total number of pixels for the rebuilt strings was 85 pixels.

I haven't tried using the pixel standard code and a sequencer yet but that's on the agenda as soon as I get all 16 strings upgraded.

Anybody have any suggestion as to why these two strings are behaving as above?

Tom
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, by MrChristmas2000 »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: SSC Testing function question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, »
did you installed the updated resistors on the ssc?  i think instead of a 330ohm, there was a switch to the 150ohm.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, »
One or more of the new nodes are pulling more amps than what ver1 wants to handle. When all of the lights go white it pulls the most current. You are not seeing it when there is only 5 nodes because it below the threshold for the SSC. Its one of the main reasons RJ did a slight redesign of the SSC to handle more current from the pic. The pcb itself can handle it but overloading the pic is causing it to lockup.

just my guess  >:D

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
did you installed the updated resistors on the ssc?  i think instead of a 330ohm, there was a switch to the 150ohm.

If I remember correctly that happened right after the coop last year. I know I pulled and replaced 16 resistors last year. Whew...

This error dosen't happen on every string, just 2 out of the first 8 that I have modified.

I looked at my last string I did and I think the first pixel on the string may be having some kind of loading problem so I may replace it and see what happens to that one.

BTW it is the same SSC I am using to test all the strings.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, »
let them run on "stuck white" for awhile, sometimes after a minute, your problem node starts to act up
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, »
Think I have identified the problem as being a bad SSC. I had blown up the PIC in this test unit and replaced it but aparently something is still now quite right with it.

I got out some of my other SSCs, put test PICs in them, hooked them to a hub and the problem went away as they tested the strings just fine.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, »
You can also test the pixels using the xlights tester.  I have found that lights that failed with the test firmware worked just fine using the xlights tester.  This problem came up last year for a lot of folks.  The test firmware seems to do some extreme testing, but normal use seems to work just fine so always test both ways before you give up on a single pixel.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA