Author Topic: battery boxes.  (Read 3339 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: battery boxes.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, »
I put caulk around the air hole cover and then sprayed the top with flat black paint.  Seems to be just fine and the former holes are not very noticeable.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just wondering how the boxes will do with snow either on it or around the box.

Rick R.
that's a good point, rick, as we get a lot of snowfall, and the box starts to melt the snow, we might get some top run off towards the big side holes.  I'll look at how well the sides are protected, and ifi have to look into a homemade "dripedge"
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, »
I have not measured mine, but I believe the edge of the top has about a 1/2 inch overlap.  I would think that is enough.  If you think a little water might get in the bottom, just put a couple of small pieces of lumber in the bottom to hold the PS off the bottom.  I have my hub screwed to two pieces of pvc pipe that fit across the long edge of the box in a couple of grooves that are built-in to the ends of the box so it is up in the air away from wher water might accumulate..
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, »
Mine have been in the snow the last couple weeks and no problem.  I mean, I clear the area around it ... but its been to -10 F and don't think heat is any issue at all.  These good quality PS are so quiet, I can't even tell when its on unless I listen carefully.  I think think I'm working it very hard at all yet.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, »
i was thinking more of when snow accumulates above the box during the day, and then the show kicks on, and warms up, it'll start to melt the snow that directly touching the case, you might get some water runoff on top of the snow towards the case, untils it melts further. i'm just wondering if that would be an issue.  i do like the sitting on pvc idea.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline injury

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, »
My idea was to put some wood underneath to get it off the ground, and take a piece of thin sheet metal and bend an A frame to sit on top of it so water would run off and not splash up in anything.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, »
It rained this afternoon. Had to replace a power supply for other reasons but the inside was perfectly dry. Even with water standing on the top. (plugged the vent holes)

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, »
Hello,

I have had a lot of rain over the past few weeks ( 3 inches + ) and it has worked like a charm! It is close to the house but in the full elements none the less. I did throw a piece of plastic over the top as I do with all my controllers I have not even thought twice about checking since I did after the first heavy rain and it was dry as could be.

I'm also impressed with the light strip as well, they have handled everything the weather could throw at them and have worked every night and even on the rainy nights as well.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, »
I'm having more problems with my cat5 coupler freezing up or getting moisture in them.

The battery box could probably be buried in the snow.  The hot glue over the vent holes produces the
nicest and quickest solution, IMHO.  I tried silicone caulk also but its not as nice.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]