Author Topic: Fm Transmitter  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
Fm Transmitter
« on: September 01, 2010, »
Im looking for a Fm Transmitter that is FCC approved. Have been doing research online and found a few that look like they may work. However, I want the forums opinion on the best one to use. I perfer a USB unit however, not required.

Thanks  ;D
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: Fm Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, »
I use the EDM, awesome clarity, good range with the supplied antenna.

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, »
Ok Thank you will def be checking that out.  ;D
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Im looking for a Fm Transmitter that is FCC approved. ... I perfer a USB unit however, not required.

Hmm. Most of us here have been purchasing devices designed overseas that are not FCC approved (not meaning they're necessarily illegal, just that the makers didn't want to bear the cost of getting the device approved).

The EDM, for example, is not FCC approved. Great transmitter by all accounts, one that doesn't exceed FCC regulations, just not approved (this device was designed in South Africa, for example).

I think you can figure on an added $10-$25 to the retail price of a device for the FCC approval.

As far as I can tell, there is only one USB/FCC FM transmitter, the UX300 from CanaKit. There are some US retailers who sell it with an FCC approval number, while there are others that sell it without; those that sell it with the number are charging $10 more than those who do not. CanaKit clearly states on its web site that it is approved only for Canada.

I have purchased other CanaKit products and found them just fine and the specs for the UX300 look good, but I have no personal knowledge of this particular device.

\dmc

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, »
Well I think I may just go with the EDM that was mentioned.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, »
The Ramsey FM100B is also nice.  I have both the FM100B and EDM LCD.  Never hurts to have a backup although having these two is overkill.

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, »
So I have looked at all the site provided so far. I was wondering if something like this would also work? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jandelee

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, »
So I have looked at all the site provided so far. I was wondering if something like this would also work? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have one of these...used it during the 2009 Christmas season and it worked just fine.  Actually, one of the other local decorators recently asked me about the unit...he heard it last year while watching my show and was thinking of upgrading to it...

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, »

I have one of these...used it during the 2009 Christmas season and it worked just fine.  Actually, one of the other local decorators recently asked me about the unit...he heard it last year while watching my show and was thinking of upgrading to it...

Ok Cool Thanks. I think I have decided on what Im going to use then. Thanks Everyone!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, »

This device definitely does not[/i] meet FCC regulations. It advertises a transmission area of 1600 feet, while FCC rules (see You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) specifically say that legal devices can only transmit 250 feet.

Were I to purchase and use this device, I would add an attenuator between the transmitter and the antenna and perform experiments to insure that the transmitter isn't broadcasting too far. In most neighborhoods, a home's property line is 50 feet on the street side -- that means that you should not be able to hear the transmitter more than three houses away in either direction (two to be safe).

\dmc

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, »
The transmitting range and need for it is relative to the size and locatin of the property and the location of the transmitter.  I would bet that 1600 foot range is a maximum under ideal conditions.  Perhaps in your area the average property width is 50 feet wide but in mine it is at least 3 times that or more.  Some of the houses on my street also sit more than 250 feet back from the road so if your FCC approved transmitter were attached to one of those houses, you would not be able to receive the transmission even if you were parked directly in front of the house which kinda makes it useless.  If you are in a urban area with many properties close together then I woudl agree that 1600 feet might be a bit much but in my area that would be just about what is needed.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kj77rn

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, »
I used the V6000 from Mobileblack Box last year and had no problems broadcasting from my shed in the backyard to the street out front and down 2-3 houses with the supplied antenna.  It appears the one mentioned is the next step up.  For what it is worth.
Steve
Apopka FL

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This is exactly what I have and I live in a development with houses on Min. 1 acre this device does transmit  about 1  country block or so in any direction with that said I called the Manufacture about the transmitting strength and they suggested a different walwart and the range diminished to about 500 to 700 ft. I like the output it is truley stereo and clear very nice sound
Jeff

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, »
Range can be a problem even with the EDM and Ramsey.  If you use the antenna that comes with the units your lucky to get 50'.  With my outside antenna on the lowest setting I can get an easy three blocks or more.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, »
Some of the houses on my street also sit more than 250 feet back from the road so if your FCC approved transmitter were attached to one of those houses, you would not be able to receive the transmission even if you were parked directly in front of the house which kinda makes it useless.

Useless, perhaps, but legal. I had cited the amount of space on a typical (albeit urban) lot to indicate to the OP that 250 feet isn't very far. If you have a situation where your house is farther than 250 feet from the road, I would suggest that you move the transmitter and antenna closer to the road rather than break the law.

But that's just me.

\dmc