Hardware > Lynx SSR4

SSR4 Power Source (Odd) Question

(1/2) > >>

Iced:
This may seem like an odd question but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there would be a problem with an SSR4 being powered by a power source that goes through a standard light dimmer.

p.s. I know I could just remove the light dimmer and I could answer 'why?' questions, but humor me please :)   Thanks DIYLA!

n1ist:
Most dimmers don't like inductive loads.  If the dimmer was full on or full off, it probably would work, but I'd scope the dimmer's output (ONLY by using an isolated differential probe) to make sure the active element in the dimmer is fully on at full light.

/mike

tbone321:
Actually, most inductive loads don't like dimmers either.  Even at full on, dimmers don't put out a clean sine wave and that distortion can harm some inductive loads.

n1ist:
They work fine on my Variac :-)
/mike

Iced:
Just so I understand, because I'm having a hard time looking up what you guys are talking about :-P 
...I have a string of incandescent lights that are on a standard light dimmer.  If I inserted the SSR4 between the two, you're saying it may or may not work?  Any harm to the SSR4 if I try it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version