Author Topic: Novice questions  (Read 1268 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Novice questions
« on: October 28, 2009, »
I have my LE's built except for the electrical cords and enclosures and have started sequencing and some questions have come to mind that I can't answer yet.  I'm sure some or most on here have one or more answers.
  • What is the difference between DMX out and DMX out 2?
  • Do you have to terminate the LE if it is using wireless?
  • I am assuming that I can go from computer to dongle to SSR4 then to transmitter.  Correct?
  • How long does it take incandescent lights to come on?  In other words, if I have the lights on for 50mS, would they hit full brightness before turning off?
  • Is there any noticeable delay due to wireless, hardware, or software?  In other words, if Vixen calls for a light to come on at a certain time, is there a delay from the command to the actual light coming on and if so, how much can I expect?  I like my shows to be very precise so I am wondering if I need to actually have the lights programmed to come on slightly before the point in the music where I want the effect.  Hope that make sense.

I seem to remember having more questions, but they escape me at this time.  Thanks in advance for your help.

-Keith

Offline deplanche

Re: Novice questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, »
I have some answers... that may be incomplete, but it's a start.

1. Use DMX OUT to daisy chain from a wired LE to the next LE.  Use DMX OUT 2 to go from a wireless LE to the next LE.
2.  I did, but don't know if it matters.
3.  No Idea.
4.  There are lots of factors that go into that.  What type of bulb.. mini, c7, c9.  But in my opinion, something on for only 50 ms is too fast to enjoy.  Get too close to being a strobe for my liking, so I will ramp in and fade out, or leave it on for a bit longer.  Unless of course you are going for a strobe effect.
5. I am using wireless LEs within 50' of the PC (thru walls) and there is no noticable delay.  The computer will lag if I try typing while it is running, but the show doesn't.

I too am a perfectionist.  But keep in mind that it is easy too get too close to the sequence.  You can easily listen to a song hundreds of time, and want to hit each note right on.  But when all is said and done, when you aren't at the computer and are outside enjoying the show, you really don't notices the little differences.  And all the people who are seeing it for the first time are usually so amazed, that a 50ms difference here or there won't even be noticed.

Good luck.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have my LE's built except for the electrical cords and enclosures and have started sequencing and some questions have come to mind that I can't answer yet.  I'm sure some or most on here have one or more answers.
  • What is the difference between DMX out and DMX out 2?
** DMX2 is really a one channel splitter it adds a second rs-485 allowing RJ to connect it with the wireless module for wired ouput. If using a wired input that both dmx and dmx2 second out the same info.

• Do you have to terminate the LE if it is using wireless?
** I'll pass on all wireless questions since I don't have it (yet?? :))

• I am assuming that I can go from computer to dongle to SSR4 then to transmitter.  Correct?
** Yes, DMX protocol is just a broadcast, the ssr4 will just pass the info on to the next device in the dmx chain.

• How long does it take incandescent lights to come on?  In other words, if I have the lights on for 50mS, would they hit full brightness before turning off?
** I think you would need a high speed camera to time it unless there is some math formula out there. I would guess yes.

• Is there any noticeable delay due to wireless, hardware, or software?  In other words, if Vixen calls for a light to come on at a certain time, is there a delay from the command to the actual light coming on and if so, how much can I expect?  I like my shows to be very precise so I am wondering if I need to actually have the lights programmed to come on slightly before the point in the music where I want the effect.  Hope that make sense.

I seem to remember having more questions, but they escape me at this time.  Thanks in advance for your help.
** darn, I had more guess off the top of my head too :(

-Keith

my answers (guesses) start with **

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, »
Thanks for the reply.  I should have mentioned that I am using all incandescent mini's.

-Keith

Offline mschell

• Christmas in Applegate
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, »
I'll correct just one minor detail.  DMX uses the RS485 signaling method, which is a serial connection.  It's not "broadcast", and if a device breaks the chain, then any devices "downstream" will not get the signal.

Now, once you use a radio transmitter (i.e. wireless), you are broadcasting the signal, but after being received by a receiver, it again becomes a serial chain from device to device.

If you put a SSR4 between your computer and the transmitter, just understand that if something happens to the SSR4, you might lose all your blinky  flashy.
Mark
Kernersville, NC