Author Topic: Made a boo boo in building - do I need to undo?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline gwright13

Hello Friends

When building my first ever PCB when I got to the sockets, I actually soldered in the chip to the board without the socket, OUCH!

I dont think it will be a problem what are your opinions?

I can really tests because I have dont have all the parts to complete the board or the pickit2 yet so I dont know if this will be a problem or not, I am leaning towards its not a problem.

BTW - I have the board 98% built and it passes the 3.3v and the 5v test, however led channel 6 lights up slightly.  Just to not alarm anyone the only parts not assembled are the heat sink and the green bar where the light cords connect to.

Thanks for any help here.

Gary

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Made a boo boo in building - do I need to undo?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, »
If the pic is not programmed than this is normal action from it. The chips are fine soldered in we use the sockets to make assemble easier for new users since the chance of overheating the active parts goes away. Sockets can take a lot of heat.

And is they put something in backwards it is easy to fix. If you solder a chip in backwards man it is much harder and newbies normally damage the pcb trying to remove it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline gwright13

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, »
Well,

I did have 1 MOC3023 in backwards and had to remove it, what a pain in the butt.   I am not saying I did but if I did damage the PCB, will it only affect that one channel or will it cause additional problems?

Thanks

Gary

Offline Greg

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, »
Gary,

If the potential damaged area is only for that MOC then chances are pretty stron it'll only affect that one channel.  If you damaged a trace you can always use a piece of wire to jumper around the damaged area.

Back in the day, When I had to replace a chip on a multi-layer board and didn't have a proper means of de-soldering the inner layers I'd clip the legs off the chip close to the chip leaving the old chip's legs as tabs on the board and solder the new chip to these tabs.  Although these boards aren't multi-layer, it may be an idea to keep in mind if it becomes necessary to replace a directly soldered chip in the future.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, »
Not a half bad idea clipping the legs, just leave enough of the leg attached to the chip to solder to.  If you totally toast the chip, you can heat the legs individually and drop them out(if you cut them as suggested).  Use some solder wick or solder removal tool to clean up the excess solder and go back to the beginning.

R
R,
Tony "C"