Author Topic: A little help please.  (Read 29392 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Re: A little help please.
« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2012, »
OK, that is good.  Ed may not be dead after all.  Unfortunately, networking issues get over my head pretty quickly.  It might be worth trying a cross-over cable though if you can find or build one.  If you have a different computer, you could try that as well to see if it will communicate with the ED long enough to get you tested.  You don't have to install any software yet, just hook the Ed up to the other computer and see if the lights come on.  If they do, you might try using that computer to test your setup out.  Also, if the computer you have been using has wireless, you might try disabling that and waiting a minute or so and then plug the ED into it again.  It might be sending all traffic out the wireless connection instead of the port.  That change should cause it to send all the traffic out the port instead and might help.  Won't hurt anything anyway.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2012, »
I plugged in the ED to a old laptop that need a new power plug. Keep turning off. That solid light on the right hand side of the MagicJack is coming on.

The light on the computer cat5e comes on when I plug it in.

The crossover cable is from USB to cat5e connection?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, by sittinguphigh »
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

sjb

« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2012, »
Lonewolf41 can it not be tested through the router or does it have to be connected straight into the computer?

Is your computer a laptop or a desktop? How is your computer hooked up to the internet (cable or Wireless)?

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2012, »
A crossover cable is still a CAT5 cable, it just has some wires "crossed over" on one end where it enters the plug.

SJB is right though, we can try it hooked up to the router.  Usually, connecting through a router introduced extra issues for troubleshooting, but it your case, maybe it will help solve some.  Try hooking the Ed to a port on your router and connecting your computer to a different port on the same router and lets see if we can't get them to talk.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2012, »
Wireless connection. Don't have a long enough cable to hook up hard wire.

I do believe you have to the VIXEN, SSC utility or some kind of software to test?

I have to say there some thing wrong with my PC. Soft ware or hard wear.

I could call Acer and see if they can fix it.

Or go and get a new power cord for my lap top.

Or do a cross over from USB to cat5e.

The fact that I'm not getting any thing  threw the cat5e cable means I can't use the cat5e at all?

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2012, »
Try wireless.  It should still work.

As far as your other computer not talking to the ED, it is most likely a setting, not necessarily the computer.  If it is new, most likely the manufacturer has put so much garbage on it to protect you from yourself, it may be limiting the ability to broadcast the correct, or any, data to the ED.  If you can talk to the ED wirelessly and we can get lights blinking through the router, then we can work on the connection issue and probably someone else will have to help you there as I am network challenged.  Maybe this will at least get the computer talking to the ed talking to the lights. 

Should have answered the rest of your question...you will need something to test with.  Vixen will work fine for that just like you did earlier today with the test channel function.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, by lonewolf41 »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2012, »
Does the computer say it is detecting anything when you attach the etherdongle? Whether you can use the router depends on if it supports multicast.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2012, »
The router could still be a problem, but let's cross our fingers.  If it works, then we will know for sure.  So now your setup will be ED plugged into your router.  LE plugged into your ED.  Use Vixen to see if you can make the channels on the LE blink.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2012, »
I just talked to Acer they just rebooted the system when I first bought the PC. It will take 30 mins.
I understand what you are talking about. I'm on my lap top right now. But it goes dead at times. Bad power cable.

The ED seems to work on the laptop.

Offline injury

« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2012, »
Just to clear up some assumptions before anything gets more murky

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Or do a cross over from USB to cat5e.

No. A crossover cable is special a network cable that has one end flipflopped on the send/receive pairs. This was required in old days to go from PC to PC without a hub or switch inbetween. If the network card in the show PC is old enough you might need one to talk to the Etherdongle without a switch, hub, or router inbetween them.

for example You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The fact that I'm not getting any thing  threw the cat5e cable means I can't use the cat5e at all?

Not necessarily. If you want to test the PC RJ45 network connection itself disable wireless and plug it into the router if you get internet through it it's working.

One other thing that could be holding you back when going straight from the PC to the ED is the fact that Windows by default has the network connections set for DHCP, when plugging it straight into the Etherdongle you have no DHCP server so you need to assign the PC's wired network card with a static address like IP address 10.0.0.10 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 should work can leave gateway and DNS blank since you don't have them in that setup.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #265 on: December 05, 2012, »
I think you may be right. The tech at Acer said it was not hardware. It was some thing with the software corruption he thought. Hopefully the reload will fix it.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #266 on: December 05, 2012, »
Well guys no go. Didn't clean up the problem. I'm going to call Acer tomorrow.
I tried my laptop but it will not except the plugin for DMX etherdongle to the file.
It is in the file but it doesn't show up when I need it when creating a new sequence.

I'm going to go out and buy a long enough cable to reach the router. This way I can see if the internet works threw the cat5e cable.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, by sittinguphigh »

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2012, »
I connected the cat5e cable to use it as the internet connect.
I have a problem with the connection. It's so slow It barely function.
It should be alot fast hard line then wireless.
I will have to call back Acer to fix it.

I the mean time I have two choices.
Pug the ED into the router and use the router connection.
Or try to get my laptop to except the plugin.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2012, »
You can test the ED plugged into the router right now and it will not take that long.  If it works, then we have made some progress.  If it doesn't, well we still don't know what's wrong since it could be the ED or it could be that your router does not support the multicast traffic that the ED requires/uses.  If you can post the model of your router, perhaps someone can tell if it supports multicast and we can at least rule that in or out.

Based on what you have said though, it does seem to point to some kind of issue with your computer.  Having a better connection over wireless than being plugged in would seem to me to indicate an issue in either the hardware or software configuration of your computer.

-Keith

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #269 on: December 06, 2012, »
Talked to a charter tech guy. My pci lan adapter is bad.
Whats the quickest way to get around this problem for now.
I was thinking why not replace the pci lan with a two cat5e connection. Will that take long?
Or we can do what lonewolf says just hook it up to the router. I have the NETGEAR N600 wireless dual band.
Or we can try to work threw the laptop problem of getting the vixen plugin to work.

This has been a big change for me.
I would so much like to ride down main street
Norco with my horse with RGB lights and music.
Cars will stop and people will come out of there homes to see it.

I promise to video tape it for you guys if we can get this up and running.