Author Topic: Nodes always on??  (Read 1607 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Nodes always on??
« on: January 05, 2012, »
I was wondering if anyone has come across this yet. I have 2 Nodes out of 1920, on 2 stings that are always on green when nothing being sent to them. I have not done anything at all with them yet (Except unplug and plug back in), I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I would think that it would have to be something in the controllers, maybe the controllers just need a reflash. They have done this since the first day outside.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Nodes always on??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, »
I have one node that developed the green night light effect. I think moisture got into it and cause the problem. Most of the time it would light properly and other times it wouldn't. I plan to just cut it out and replace it.

being a wimp I am waiting for the temp to go up some  <yk..

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, »
Funny thing to me is both lights work when signal is sent. They don't stay green, but swapping is quick and easy. That is when it warms up!  ;)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, »
i have a green, teal, and a yellow one...

they aren't on very bright, and seem to work with the rest of the show. just light up dimly when the string is supposed to be off. 

the pixels work after it, so in my hurry, i didn't worry about it.    it cant be seen from a distance anyways.
but yeah, they'll be cut out when i take it down
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, »
Yes I had to replace some after it rained. It can get really bad when 1 node can cause a section of the string to stay on white during and between songs or anytime the hub is poweed up even if the show hasn;t started yet or has ended. Sometimes it will be random colors. Sometimes only 1 node is the symptom.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, »
after RJ's resistor shange in the ssc, i've noticed that if i have a string come on solid white, i just let it sit for a minute or two, then the problem node starts acting up
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, »
Well it seems some of my flex strip is doing this now as well, it's just one or two nodes that are dimly lit when the show is not running. 6 out of the 8 strips are doing this although it has been a wet season for us so far. I was really impressed up until last week when I started seeing this.

Anyway they are coming down this weekend anyhow and did not cause any real problems when the show was running. I figured a piece of electrical tape would work well to block them out and nobody but me and you would know. :)

Is there a way to repair the flex strip other then cutting the section out? I guess I'll keep them aside and see what I can do. I did have a white one that I corrected with a zip tie loosely over the control chip on the strip, I zipped it tight enough to let it make it's contact again but it is not real tight.

Anyone else have issues with the flex strips?

thanks,
Ted

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, »
I have one node in my flex strips that glows a dim green when noting is being displayed, but it works ok when the sign is running.

Bill

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, »
Well it seems some of my flex strip is doing this now as well, it's just one or two nodes that are dimly lit when the show is not running. 6 out of the 8 strips are doing this although it has been a wet season for us so far. I was really impressed up until last week when I started seeing this.

Anyway they are coming down this weekend anyhow and did not cause any real problems when the show was running. I figured a piece of electrical tape would work well to block them out and nobody but me and you would know. :)

Is there a way to repair the flex strip other then cutting the section out? I guess I'll keep them aside and see what I can do. I did have a white one that I corrected with a zip tie loosely over the control chip on the strip, I zipped it tight enough to let it make it's contact again but it is not real tight.

Anyone else have issues with the flex strips?

thanks,
Ted

If moisture got to them they might start working fine after they dry out.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Nodes always on??
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, »
Bill, I have the same thing on a flex strip .... Green is on but works when told.   I like it, because I know that my hub is working
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, »
Bill, I have the same thing on a flex strip .... Green is on but works when told.   I like it, because I know that my hub is working

I have done the same, I use it as a power light.

Bill

Offline tallan

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, »

I have done the same, I use it as a power light.

Bill

Yep they do let you know they are powered. :)

I have a red, green and blue on plus a yellow ( red and green ? ) a light blue ( Blue and green?) and a couple purlple ( red and blue?)

After a few nice days I have seen some of them them turn off so perhaps it is just a bit of water in their. I have not tried unplugging them yet so they have been powered since the first of December. I've been waiting for a dry night to shoot some video, the pixels look funny when the show is running and I will try to capture some video of that if I can.

Anyway it's not a big issue to me really it just means I have 6 strips I can cut up now to make some neat things out of. :)

Ted

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, »
I am not so sure that we can always blame nodes for this. Maybe green , but this weekend I reflashed all of my ss controllers (changed channels) getting ready for next year. Now I have over a dozen on, some dim some bright and mostly blue in color.

Offline tallan

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, »
I am not so sure that we can always blame nodes for this. Maybe green , but this weekend I reflashed all of my ss controllers (changed channels) getting ready for next year. Now I have over a dozen on, some dim some bright and mostly blue in color.

Whoa, sorry to hear that, maybe I should just leave my display up and powered until next season. :)

I was wondering if a power reset would make them better, I guess I can try it this evening and see what happens.

Ted