Author Topic: Rainbow colors at end of 128 count strands  (Read 1076 times)

Offline sielbear

Rainbow colors at end of 128 count strands
« on: October 31, 2011, »
I got 1/2 my strands from Ray last week, other half just shipped - overall, the quality is MUCH improved over the test strands from early this summer.  The water proofing looks spectacular in my shipment - maybe I got lucky, but I've only found a couple of nodes that might need a little plastidip love.  All of my other nodes have this epoxy type stuff completely covering the board and wires, etc.  Overall, I'm pretty happy.

Here are my two issues - 1.) running through the test sequence (and I've let them run for 48 hours at this point), the only rainbox coloration I get on 5 of the strands is at the end of the pixel strands.  Perhaps the last few nodes out of 128.  This is happening pretty consistently on 5 out of 6 strands.  On a couple of the strands, it's only the last pixel, and on some cycles it's not impacted at all.  On other strands it's the last 8 - 10 during the green and blue colors. 

I'm thinking I might just convert these strands to 100 node strands and be done with it.  On 5 / 6 strands, it's never impacting the first 100 nodes.  Thoughts?

2.) I've got one strand that approximately 1/2 in, every 10 - 12 cycles, I'll get a slow rainbow color change.  For instance, it will slowly fade from red to green over 50 pixels or so.  I'm thinking I'll try trimming it down to 100 nodes as well to see if it impacts anything?

In testing, (just to see what would happen), I did confirm lots of rainbox effects after the white color when trying to use 75' of cat-5 on the 128 node strand.  My assumption is that the white node caused the voltage to drop sufficiently that the next color change was not properly processed.  The Red and Green would produce rainbow effects (lots on red, fewer on green) and perfect blue and white.  Then the voltage would likely drop with the high current needs of white and the cycle would repeat.  Just a little info if anyone was wondering how far you can run the cables.  50' seems to be the absolute limit for 128 node, and if you have a lot of white in your show, I'd question that.   

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Rainbow colors at end of 128 count strands
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, »
Still waiting on the rest of my order as well. I am having a lot of trouble trying to run 128 nodes. I received 6 strings all modified, ie 100 with 28 added to the end. I only have 2 strings that will work with all 128. If I shorten to 100 I can get 3 more working. One string I have cut and spliced several times, but can still not find the bad node or make it work with all 128. Frustration is setting in for me, but I am still plugging along to find a solution.

Offline sielbear

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, »
I was in a similar situation, however, I looked at my setup and realized I had 8 extra SSCs that were built with plans to use next year.  I'm just going to run 100 count strands and be done with it.

After making the cuts, 5 / 6 are functioning perfectly.  The one odd ball is 20 times better - perhaps one erroneous pattern every 30 - 40 cycles.  Pretty good.  I'm going to save that strand as a reserve as it looks like I may have ordered 1 too many strands.  Better to have too many than not enough, right?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, »
I concur with the thought that shorter strings seem to have fewer problems.  Now that I have built more SSCs I think I will only need two strings that are over 100 and they are estimated to be 114, but until I stretch them out on the roof won't know for sure.  So far the ones that I have test mounted are all coming in with fewer actual nodes than what I estimated using 3.1" between nodes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, »
I've been waiting until after Halloween before setting up my mega tree, but I already know from previous strings that I am going to be over 100 nodes per string. I may have to build another hub and more ssc if I cannot figure out a solution. I know that I am going to be over my channel limit for a single hub, but I did not want to have to build 16 more ss controllers for this year.  Also I was going to use the second hub for some other things, not just the mega tree.