Author Topic: Customs bill from FedEx  (Read 1006 times)

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Customs bill from FedEx
« on: December 26, 2012, »
About a month ago I received a shipment from Ray through FedEx. They called me for clearance and wanted to know what was being shipped from China. I stated they are LEDs lights for a Christmas Light display.

Fast forward to today and I received a bill from FedEx for customs charges on what they listed as Christmas Lights. Apparently Christmas lights are charged at an 8% rate on the declared value of $700. Plus FedEx's fee the total for the bill is $87  >:(

I think the items should be reclassified since they are really just LEDs used for signs although I am using them for an unintended use. I plan to fill out a FedEx dispute form trying to get them reclassified.

Anyone have any experience with HTS classifications and /or dealing with this issue.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline johno123

Re: Customs bill from FedEx
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, »
Yes, I got whacked with a FedEx customs bill as well this fall.  Your take on these being sign components is an interesting one. 

If I remember correctly, RJ didn't you run into  similar classification issues with customs when you were investigating manufacturing stateside?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, »
I seem to recall from somewhere it's best to just classify them as product samples.

Most of mine has been shipped through DHL and I have never been asked that question. Just a suggestion but if you order in the future request that it comes via DHL instead of FedEx.

Offline travailen

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, »
I ordered a bunch of LED squares and about 300 feet of the 18 Ga RGB wire. There was no customs on the lights but there was a $7.00 charge for the wire. Has anyone has experienced customs charges from other shippers. Maybe there is a customs coding problem with FedEx.

Rick S

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Customs bill from FedEx
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, »
Previous orders were through DHL with no problems or questions.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, »
mine was shipped dhl with no issues.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, »
Over the past 3 years, I have "sampled" more that $3K of products (mostly light or controllers)
The contact I had with the shippers told me to declarethem as samples, as long I dont even think about re-selling the items....no problem there....

Contest the charges and list them as samples.
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline bassmants

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, »
Wow, that's crazy.  I haven't ordered from Ray yet, but thanks for the heads up guys.