Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 739 times)

Offline Beanbag109

• "If I bulid it, it will flash and blink"
Now what?
« on: March 04, 2012, »
Having been going thru soooo many pages of posts, I'm still confused.

I have built my first Lynx Express (seems to be going alright, no smoke).

Now, I think I need a EtherDongle to control them (with Vixen software). Is this correct?

Do I need the PicKit to program my Express and EtherDongle?

Looking at the Wiki page, I can not go to Mouser Direct to order the parts for the EtherDongle. how do I order the parts?

Then I need to buy the PCB from RJ. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any help

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, »
Tried to get into chat so we could talk realtime.  Looks like I can't get chat to work.

All you need to get the Lynx EX equipment to work is: 

A computer, a DMX Dongle, and your Lynx EX 
(also you will need the appropriate cables - USB cable for the connection between computer and DMX Dongle, RJ45 cable between DMX Dongle and your Lynx EX)

This is written like this : 
Computer -> DMX Dongle -> Lynx EX

There are other options (including the one you mention)

You could do this:
EthernetDongle -> Lynx EX (using an RJ-45 to connect them) and you would be good to go, HOWEVER, you need to program the ED (EthernetDongle).  This assumes you have the new daughter card to do the show called Conductor, but I don't know if that is available yet.

That means, you will have to have the following to program the ED (this is also the way you can run the show from your computer through the ED without using the daughter card called Conductor):
Computer -> DMX Dongle (with the newer firmware to speak with the ED) -> EtherDongle -> Lynx EX

You could also go wireless (to remove the need to have a wired RJ-45 to the controller) like this:
Computer -> DMX Dongle -> TX/RX -> EX/RX -> Lynx EX (realize that the EX/RX plugs directly to the Lynx EX).  RJ-45 between DMX Dongle and TX/RX.  airwaves between the TX/RX and EX/RX.

Does this help some?

What I recommend is that you get a DMX Dongle FIRST!!

Kurt
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, by kgustafson »
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, »
I agree with using the DMX Dongle first.  Unless you get it in a coop, you will have to install the firmware for it.  This means you need a Pickit programer as well.  I would get Pickit 3 so you could program the ED dongle as well as the DMX dongle.  Also the DMX dongle does not have a header on it.  You will need a small breadboard to install the firmware on the DMX pic too!  There are nice diagrams on the wiki to show how to install the firmware using a breadboard You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I wasn't aware you needed the DMX dongle to use the ED dongle.  I believe if you can install the DMX firmware (for the ED dongle) on the ED dongle and be good to go; leaving the DMX dongle out of the setup.  Lets see what others say on this as I am not 100% sure.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree with using the DMX Dongle first.  Unless you get it in a coop, you will have to install the firmware for it.  This means you need a Pickit programer as well.  I would get Pickit 3 so you could program the ED dongle as well as the DMX dongle.  Also the DMX dongle does not have a header on it.  You will need a small breadboard to install the firmware on the DMX pic too!  There are nice diagrams on the wiki to show how to install the firmware using a breadboard You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I wasn't aware you needed the DMX dongle to use the ED dongle.  I believe if you can install the DMX firmware (for the ED dongle) on the ED dongle and be good to go; leaving the DMX dongle out of the setup.  Lets see what others say on this as I am not 100% sure.

IndanaChristmas,

you are absolutely correct about connect to the ED.  I mis-spoke.  You need an ethernet connection between your computer and the ED.

See the connection here : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The DMX/pixelnet dongles are not available via coop. The only way to get them is to order the PCB directly from RJ and then the BOM from Mouser.    The Etherdongle is only available in a coop. The Etherdonlge is not programmed in the coop it is necessary to build the board before programming the pic as it is surface mounted. A PicKit is a small investment for an essential tool in this hobby.   There are people that will program them for you but a Pickit will pay for itself in time saved and postage.

Brian
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, by bwhite505 »