Author Topic: what is the differance between an Ethernet cable and a cat5 cable ?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Beanbag109

• "If I bulid it, it will flash and blink"
As I am old, slow, and to tired after work to search here for my answer -

And I hate to ask a question that I am sure has already asked -

What is the differance between an Ethernet cable (the one I use to hook up the laptop to the web when I am in a hotel room) and a cat5 cable?

Again, I am sorry if this has already been asked

Mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
in most cases, they can be the same thing.

cat5 cable is the type of the physical cabling...  it has to do with the conductors, how they are twisted
cat5e, and cat6 are similar exceot with more twists inthe cable enabling faster speeds.
these cables can be used for any type of purpose, computer networks, alarm system, telephone, (smart string controllers),
note: some of the uses of the cabling does not need to have rj45 ends on the cable (telephone, or alarm)

ethernet cables have to do with the type of cabling (see above) as well and the ends (rj45), and the order of the pins at each end of the cable.

Normal Ethernet cable. (10Mbps   rare to find anymore)
White/Orange
orange
white/blue
blue
white/green
green
white/brown
brown

FastEthernet Cable (100Mbps most common [586B])
white/orange
orange
white/green
blue
white/blue
green
white/brown
brown
NOTE: 586a cabling is the same except swap white/orange with white/green  and swap orange with green

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

They can be and usually are the same cable.  CAT5 is a cable rating and the cable has to be made to those specifications to carry that label.  The rating also determins how fast the cable can carry data.  Ethernet is how the cable is used and refers to the pinout, end connectors and protocol of the signal being carried by the wire.  A CAT5 cable can carry base 10 and base 100 Ethernet but will probably fail to carry 1GIG Ethernet While CAT5e chould be able to carry all three. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rimist

Probably nothing. Technically, an Ethernet cable doesn't have to be cat5. It likely is cat5e, or could be cat6. Cat5 was superseded by cat5e at some point, but I don't know the particulars.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Zeph

It's pretty well covered, but I'll take a shot at answering to learn the spirit of things here...

Ethernet is the most common local networking method; most often nowadays it uses cables which are buillt from a cabling wire meeting specifications for Category 5, 5e (enhanced) or 6, and with RJ-45 plugs on each end.  So an ethernet cable you buy in the store or online will probably use Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 wiring (nowadays mostly the latter two).  Other varieties are much less common and we can ignore them.

These cables have 8 conductors and an easily used connector and they are cheaply available in many lengths and colors, so they have been "repurposed" for at least a dozen alternate uses in the DIY holiday lighting community.  In those uses, the Cat5 (or whichever Cat) cable is not actually carrying ethernet networking, but it's the same kind of cable which COULD carry ethernet and was probably sold for that purpose.  Thus we sometimes refer to it as a Cat5 cable to make clear that we are not using it for ethernet.

Cat5e and Cat6 are just upgraded speed-related specifications for 1 Gigabit ethernet; for our non-ethernet purposes however they are all the same, so you can get whatever's cheapest in that regard.  (The quality of the connectors and jackets and the corrosion resistance of the contacts in them is more important to our uses than the 5 vs 6 differences).   So if you see a description about using Cat5 (for non-ethernet), feel free to substitute 5e  or 6 if it's handier.

As a note - since the came cable with the same connectors is used for so many different things, be careful to know what each cat5 (etc) cable carries what in your layout.  It could be used to carry DMX, Renard, SSR data, Pixelnet backbone, and Pixelnet distribution (not to mention ethernet!) among several other uses; sometimes some of the conductors carry power which should not be misconnected.  Imagine if in your home, your TV video, your audio, your speakers, your battery charger, and your computer mouse all uses pluggable cables with the same connectors - but each should only be used for for connecting jacks of the same purpose tho any would plug with any.  That's what we have.  So you may want to mark your Cat5 cables for how they are used.

In general for our purposes you will want stranded cable, which is more flexible and breaks less easily.  Pre-made cables sold as "patch cables" will generally be stranded; solid conductors are mostly used in-wall and often created custom from large reels and crimp-on connectors.  Stranded cable is even more important if your cable is carrying power on multiple strands (for example the Smartnet distribution cables between an active hub and a Smart String Controller) - if one strand breaks the others could overheat (which can be worse than just not working at all).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, by Zeph »

Offline rm357

Also be aware that if you are using the cable between a smart string hub and a smart string controller, it needs to be stranded cabling. Normally for Ethernet, this is not a requirement.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
I like comparisons or examples.

Ethernet could be compared to 110v in your house.  Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6Augmented (Cat6A) Cat7 and so on is like "Romex" or the wire that carries the 110v power in your house.  So technically there is no such thing as 110v wire (same idea as Ethernet cable) but it's slang and most people know what you are talking about.  In fact, it's so entrenched that manufacturer's use it.  But you would be hard pressed to find and Ethernet wire specification in TIA/EIA. 

See, anything that can carry the Ethernet protocol (all the Cat's I listed above and more) could be Ethernet cable.

As far as the difference between Cat5e and Cat6, there is more than just than tighter twists (way way way beyond the scope of this forum), but the most important thing to note is what rm357 said, "it needs to be stranded cabling."  Stranded wire can carry more current, but a larger gauge wire can carry more current too. 

That's why if you use Cat6 cable instead of Cat5e, the wire gauge for Cat6 is larger so you could use solid conductors and be fine. 

Why do I know all this?  I previously designed telecommunication systems for hospitals, vivariums, colleges, etc. including LAN, WAN, fiber optics and so on.  Look up RCDD (I'm one), not bragging just saying so at least you know I something about this stuff.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
remember though, solid wire is also recommended for where it's being placed as well.  most solid wire placements are "in wall" where it shouldn't be moved on bent.

patch cables use stranded wire because it's more likely to be moved. The conductors won't break as easily. This is especially as important when using Smart String Controllers as once a conductor is broken or has an open short. the power now travels along less wires which will cause issues.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
That is a solid point and very correct.

Offline dudehenry3

Think it is pretty well covered  no need to say anymore. <la..
"Where ever you are going... Never take an Idiot with you, as you can always find one when you get there’’

Offline rimist

Actually, I do have a clarification question: assuming that the cat* cable is labeled correctly, is there a way to determine if it is stranded or solid? Is the words patch cord on my Allen Tel cable sufficient? I'd type the whole description but it's obscenely long and I have a migraine.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
If it is a true patch cord, there is a 99% chance it is stranded.  Usually it says stranded or solid on the jacket of the cable.  If there is a long number, you would have to go to the manufacturer of the cable and see what they say about the cable.

Offline Zeph

One thing here about wire gauge.  I have NOT been trying a lot of samples of recent off-the-shelf consumer cables so I have to rely on others to report a broader selection, but from what I've read it varies.  Some sources say it's most often 23 ga, but can be 22 or 24 ga.  (I am not doubting that the professional installations gatorengineer handled professionally always spec'd 22 ga Cat6, but the reader here might purchase from different sources than most RCDD's use for paying clients or employers).

So read the spec (or the cable jacket) if you are counting on Cat6 to have more than 24ga, don't assume the wire gauge just from it being called (and working as) Cat6.